Creating headstock applique from original artwork

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
My daughter is an incredible artist and I wanted her to create some digital graphics for my headstock. It won't have any text, just an image, likely floral. Any ideas for applying a digital image to headstock? I'm not married to monochrome or full color at this point.. It's a Tele neck with Satin poly with vintage tint currently.

I don't see anything stellar from this site...https://stringkraft.com/

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
'Water slide' sheets are available to print your own decals. I have never tried it though. Laser printing may be better than inkjet.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Are you thinking color or black and white? I've used my laser printer to print black onto a clear Avery sheet. It's a low budget way of doing it. I did it with half a dozen parts guitars about six years ago and they still look like they did when I put them on. I didn't spray clear over them - tried it in the beginning and it was a no go. So it's just slapping on a sticker.

65Ln8HJ.jpg

Last edited:

Splodgeness

Tele-Meister
This is an ink-jet print onto water-slide decal paper and then "buried" under lots of coats of clear lacquer. (The print needs to be sealed with a coat of lacquer onto the paper first before letting it get near the water)

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_141037182.jpg
    IMG_20220730_141037182.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 26

Powdog

Tele-Holic
There is a new ink jet waterslide decal paper out that requires no lacquer top coat. I’m trying it out this week. Dan Erlewine also has a good video out demonstrating the process.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
You can have photos printed on metal or wood veneer.

If you coat the image in Sandarac (like near the end of this video) you'll be able to finish the sides of the headstock in Sandarac as well (or shellac, or any other alcohol soluable resin) and it will melt into the coating on the picture for a seamless finish.

Edit: This site has paper thin veneer that you can run through a laser printer.

Last edited:

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
And the color of the tele? Perhaps a picture? Art is all about color themes, black, grey and white are colors with different feeling...

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
There is a new ink jet waterslide decal paper out that requires no lacquer top coat. I’m trying it out this week. Dan Erlewine also has a good video out demonstrating the process.

This is the solution. It will most likely need to be be just a monochrome thinline graphic. Neck is orange vintage tint, body has some vintage orange tint color (naturally) and a more caramel look on top from tung oil. Black accents/pickguard so I think all black graphic. Sample of her artwork and my guitar...

Screenshot_20220925-151849_Instagram.jpg

20220722_162933.jpg

BrazHog

Tele-Meister
This is the solution. It will most likely need to be be just a monochrome thinline graphic. Neck is orange vintage tint, body has some vintage orange tint color (naturally) and a more caramel look on top from tung oil. Black accents/pickguard so I think all black graphic. Sample of her artwork and my guitar...

View attachment 1033076

View attachment 1033078

That's some cool art.

Tell us more about the guitar! That's an intriguing pickguard configuration -- a clever way of putting the output jack in the front of the guitar. Did you make the pickguard yourself, or is it an off the shelf model?

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Any ideas for applying a digital image to headstock?
There are several sellers on eBay who manufacture commercial decals from your artwork.

Not the usual thick inkjet or laser scans. but the thin, high-resolution types some of us old guys used to apply to plastic models - and the type guitar manufacturers use.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
i am very impressed by this man, Brad Angove.
Yesterday i was watching for hours how he did things and explained them properly.
so maybe these vids below have some options for you @TX_Slinger