Creambacks?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mark the Moose, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

So I built the Weber 35 watt Princeton reverb kit with the 12f150 last fall. Lots of things I love about the amp, but the Weber is an efficient speaker and its all just a little much. I’d like a little for extension in the high end response and a less efficient speaker. Lower weight would also be a plus. After some research, I’m looking at the neo creamback 12 or just stepping down to a creamback 10. The eminence reignmaker is also on my radar but doesn’t help me shave those 4-5 pounds. Anybody work with any of these options in a blackface style amp?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The regular creambacks are in a lot of boutique amps now.
    I have a couple in diff amps. Great. Never tried the neo ones.
    Wish you luck.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Which Creamback 12"? LOL . There are what four? the Neo, the 65 (M), the blues 75 (H) and the Alnico. I have experience with the 65 and the Neo. I love them both.

Of Webers I do not have a lot of experience, but the Weber P10Q's I have are pretty potent.

The G12M65 Creamback is a really nice speaker. Not too anything. Not too trebly, not too bassy. Good warm mids, handles break up well. I've used it with a couple of tweeds and . it sounds spectacular.

The Neo Creamback is very similar in sound, but a touch softer. A hair warmer, a hair less efficient. Half the weight. I am currently using the Neo in my favorite amp (mixed with a Jensen 12-100 Neo).

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 12 Creamback in my DRRI. Especially at volume it has more pinch and smoother sweeter top end the stock. Eliminates the spikey top end

5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I have been considering the neo creamback for the next thing I build but I really don't know much about them. However, I do have a Creamback 65 in a 1x12 cab that I've used with my Friedman Smallbox and with a 67 Bassman and the thing is just superb. First the cab had a partially opened back, then I built a panel to close it. Great either way.
    I got steered toward the Creambacks by the guys on the marshall forum who said it was like a Greenback but with a reasonable power rating. I don't know about that since I've never owned a cab w Greenbacks, but I'm pretty happy with it. For reference I also have a 2x12 Mojo cab w Marshall branded V30's, and I installed an Eminence Guvnor in the highly fiddled with Blackvibe I just built. The Creamback is very warm, woody, and organic sounding, at least to me.
    I am actually in the same pickle, it's either a 10" Cream, the neo, or something else entirely. I am totally blown away by the Alnico Creams and if I had the cash or if Celestion made a 10" the dilemma would be solved, as long as it fits in a Princeton style cab.

6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Your perception of the 10" Creamback is on par with mine. I have one in a smaller wattage Valvetone. I also have a 10" Gold in my 68 CPRRI which is very different that I also love the voice of. My thought would be that if you play alot of power chord rock go for gold if you are in blues territory go the cream regardless if Blackface or whatever. A 2x10 with one of each would be killer.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you like the M65 Creamback, I would describe the Neo as just a little 'softer'. A touch softer on the treble and a touch less efficient. But, very similar at half the weight.

I love my M65, but I also really love the Neo.

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've used both the G12H-75 watt, and the Cream 90watt alnico speakers. They sound good to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.