Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

This marks a moment in Rock history that changed everything. If you ever wonder whay Cream was important here's an example. That band made a lifelong career for each of it's members.

My older sister gave me this album in 1968 on my 10th Birthday- this one and The Doors 'Strange Days'

I had a Sears phonograph in my room- had NO idea what the heck I was listening to- but i played these records, almost every day ( for years!) and loved them!
I think "Tales..." was the first song, Side 2.

Edit: I WANT THAT SG!!

Last edited:

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the amazing vid that I have never seen!

FWIW, I tried to find that wah sound for a couple of decades, and just last year bought a RMC6 wah, and it absolutely nails that Clapton/Hendrix talking wah thing. Highly recommended!

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Maybe the song does, this performance certainly doesn't. I think they were trying to catch up to Jimi.

The entire sound of "rock" as it were changed right around the time every guy in England was going to see those late '66 Hendrix performances. Wild stuff.

Doesn't take away from the great writing and jams that defined Cream.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It's in my rotation.

1666228726236.png

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I think they were trying to catch up to Jimi.
I was listening to Strange Brew before I had even heard of Jimi. not a lot before, but yeah.. before. also a fan of Yardbirds and Mayhall. but when I started paying attention to Jimi,,, yep, the world was a different place. it was the lead work on Watchtower

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Brave Ulysses = White Room

Awesome band, awesome music throughout no question. But let's be real in saying the 2 songs are virtually identical, sans the lyrics.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Brave Ulysses = White Room

Awesome band, awesome music throughout no question. But let's be real in saying the 2 songs are virtually identical, sans the lyrics.

Ulysses is a lot more dynamic.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
you know.... that video posted above.... sounds note for note like the record. watch it a couple times... I think they dubbed the recording over the live film.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I cant comment badly about anything cream did , they marked their time with great talent , Jazz bassist , blues guitar, and rock drummer and they made it work. individually there was a ton of infighting that lead to bad blood amongst them, particularily that song writing royalties went to Jack and Eric, Ginger saw no reward for his efforts. Ginger felt really angry because he had introduced his freind to Jack and they they took the lion's share. It took years to get over . Cream's stage show was sedintary (they did not have a show , they played) as where Jimi was all flash .talent , and vigor .
Loved the tune .