1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love CLEAN tone on TV! :o Super interesting

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by marc2211, Dec 2, 2020.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Eric should have travelled with a Champ!

2. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ginger sounds loud because of the studio conditions and he's hitting more cymbals and I'd wager hitting/kicking a little harder than on the original recording...seems like instead of waiting until the last verse of the original, he started doing more right off the bat on the Glen show. Nothing wrong with what he's playing though, that's classic Ginger. I appreciate "Sunshine" but it just never got me like "White Room". One of the reasons is Ginger's kit sounds way better on WR. It would be nice to hear "Those Were The Days" once in a while. All just my take on things of course.

Deathray and marc2211 like this.
  3. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

That was absolutely great - thank you for posting.

BuckSatan and marc2211 like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Horrible. Neutered. Boring. Loses all power and groove clean.

Colo Springs E and marc2211 like this.
  5. wabashslim

But it is an encouragement to all of us who've been made to turn down too low at a gig and made to feel ridiculous - it happens to the best of us. Even the very best.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

And it wasn't totally clean either, it was a bit crunchy so that Marshall was probably on 5 or maybe just slightly below. So it was still kind of loud.

marc2211 likes this.
  7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Plenty of volume at The Whisky in 1967

8. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I like it better I think

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Clapton didn't seem at all bothered by it. I would have been totally thrown off my game, sulking, and my performance would have sucked as a result of my tone being hugely affected.

10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Hate to be a killjoy, but he is out of tune. Bruce is a little better he's out, too. Still cool to see though. They both sound better in that Whisky clip.

11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Not sure if it was Glen's show specifically but IIRC many TV/Radio/Studio spots back in the day had problems with any kind of fuzz/distortion tone regardless of volume. Even a guitarist in the Merle Haggard band ran into this when they cut a few tracks with a fuzz pedal.

There's a famous story about Buddy Guy being told around '59 that he couldn't turn his amp up in the studio like he did in the clubs. After Cream came out and a record or two of theirs sold like crazy Leonard Chess personally called Buddy into his office to apologize for not letting him record with his "raucous sound."

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

cool piece of history glad it was saved

13. wabashslim

yep. Maybe it had to do with cultural bigotry back then - rock, especially hard rock, was only marginally acceptable for the masses back then, whereas a blasting orchestra was "legitimate" music. Witness Mike Douglas' irritation as the "Grapes" were making some off-camera noise. Almost the best part of the video...I wonder if there were any interesting off-mic responses from Skip & the boys...

14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Wow. Sounds totally different.

15. wabashslim

Those old sound engineer types didn't understand that guitars were often intentionally distorted...to them that was mortal sin and had to be resisted at all costs!

There's a story that the Youngbloods were rehearsing for the Johnny Carson show and were not co-operating with the staff's stage directions which they found square & unhip. They were being argumentative while Johnny was in his office watching all this on his monitor. Finally he stormed down to the stage (a rarity) and threw them all out, never to have a rock band on his show ever again. Fuggin heepees...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.