1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cream or Half & Half

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's amazing how a guy that builds up a business himself can enjoy success, but his offspring who just happens into it usually ruins it. Sadly, this is common place. My employment before retirement involved direct contact with a lot of family farms. Almost without fail when the baton was passed to the founders children, the farm failed.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When we go out to eat, there are inevitably some in our party who eat "healthy." When I order dinner, I order steak rare, baked potato, and am quite satisfied with my meal. When I have breakfast I order steak rare, with eggs, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy. I am seventy seven (and a half) (at my age the half is important) and am in reasonably good health after all these years. I shudder to think of what kind of shape I'd be in if I had to subsist on rabbit food.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'm sure that has nothing to do with giant agribusiness and corporate farms.

"Farm subsidies are government financial benefits paid to a specific industry - in this case, agribusiness.1 These subsidies help reduce the risk farmers endure from the weather, commodities brokers, and disruptions in demand. But they have evolved to become very complex. As a result, only large producers can take advantage of them.
    Out of all the crops that farmers grow, the government only subsidizes five of them. They are corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice"

I'll leave that there ... I don't want to talk POLITICS.

But, like the Music business, farming ain't what it used to be.

We raised horses, hogs, milo, alfalfa.

Harry Styron and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Your pal Ernie may not have been a financial success, but that didn’t tarnish the legend

5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

We usually have both 2% milk and half and half (aka 10%) in the fridge. I usually have one coffee a day with half and half. The other two I use milk. One day we found and bought “light coffee cream” (5% or maybe 1/4 and 3/4) and it didn’t seem any different than using milk. Never bought it again.

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

More like generic low carb. I try to avoid grains and added sugars. I doubt I’m ever actually in ketosis since I eat a healthy amount of crucifersous carbs, etc.

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

“I don’t want to talk about it but I’ll just mention it anyway.” Come on, man.

Anyway. I would use half and half over cream.

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LOL

9. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Half-n-half

10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I remember those days of milk delivery. We used to use the milk back in those days it was so rich. Stopped using the powdered or liquid stuff years ago to cut down on calories and fat. Now I enjoy a nice cup freshly ground black coffee.

11. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Coffee in the UK has got unrecognisably better in my 4 decades of drinking the stuff

Best coffee I ever experienced was whilst travelling in Italy - mostly Rome and Florence, and I suspect has not changed much over time.

Back home, I eventually ended up buying a used Gaggia espresso machine and a grinder. The Gaggia's really well supported, and has been been modded, and serviced and partially rebuilt (very unlike my amp stewardship)... and eventually I learnt how to use those to make decent espresso and steamed milk drinks. That's been one of the consolations of lockdown.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The best part of waking up...

coffee.jpg

Black for me. Sometimes, after dinner, I'll add a little maple syrup, but it's that or lose citizenship.

tattypicker likes this.
  13. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Nice. I've been all over the place with independent/artisan roast beans - and I keep coming back to Lavazza Rossa.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

I like the Gold, too. Milder.

15. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I remember the glass Abbott milk bottles with the bulge on top where the cream would separate. That was in the mid 1950 in south Philly where I grew up. It was still delivered by horse and wagon. Today I drink my coffee black, I buy instant from the dollar store.

16. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

All I know is that if your wife is at work and you run out of half and half, and all that’s left in the house is 2%, you can’t thicken the 2% with corn starch to make more half and half.

It’s just a bad idea all the way around.

17. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I would like to try other varieties - but I also like to buy 1kg bags! Robusta blends get a bad rap compared to 100% arabica - but that's exactly what the red is, and also what an Italian cafe owner told me was the secret to his house coffee. I like how it cuts through foamed milk.

18. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I use 1/2 & 1/2. We keep a few cans of evaporated milk around in case we run out of 1/2 & 1/2 and it keeps forever. Evaporated milk adds a little something to the flavor. It reminds me of the stuff they used for coffee in the Netherlands. I think they have a special coffee milk there, but it has been so long I forget exactly what it was.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

I think robusta yields more crema.

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A handful of mini marshmallows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.