Crazydave911's Former Challenge Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, Mar 13, 2012.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey... it looks great! Glad to see it done.

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks a lot! :). Yes, the TDPRI is truly a place of wonder ;)

Thanks Marty! :)

3. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister

wow a thing of beauty..
    ssssssseriously.....

4. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Great work Dave, particularly on that headstock - very cool and a nice take on the snakehead. Have fun stringing it up and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Cheers

5. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Looking good, Dave. I'm really glad to see you finishing this up. Can't wait to see it all buttoned up and hear it.

6. crazydave911

:lol:, love the Ssssssss, and thanks ;)

Thanks guys, me too. I've got the finish on the fretboard and the nut cut & glued..................now for the hard part :rolleyes: :lol:

7. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Well , of course , we all know what starts with Ssssssss :D

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow, looka that! Nice! Love the headstock.

9. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Hey Dave, I don't know how I missed this thread but I've enjoyed going through it. These 12 strings aren't easy are they? Not after you start stringing them up and tuning/intonating/cutting nut slots they aren't anyway :p.

I recently built one and used the Ric layout for the tuners like you did, but yours turned out so much better. Nice job.

I also used the GFS Retrotrons, though mine are the mini version. Are yours Liverpool or Nashville?

10. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

I really want to hear the chime! Looks great.

11. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

I knew it would look great, but yeah, that is one fantastic looking guitar. I think the hardware, pickups and design all work so nicely together, in the words of some of our kids, "that's sick"! :D

I've always wanted a 12, but darnit, never have owned one. Gotta change that situation someday

12. crazydave911

:lol:

13. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, the guitar came out real keen. The wood has a very organic look to it and that fits well with a 12 string.

Looking forward to hearing a few notes from it. I'm sure it'll be rich. 12s sometimes seem tinny at first but that is a function of string size and methods for making up the chord choices and of course palm muting. So don't fret on that, just stick to it and it'll come around for you.

Be open to alternative tunings, go take a looksee at David Crosby he's got some thunder you could steal:)

14. crazydave911

It's being a royal pain :lol:, have had to shim the neck and recut 2 nut slots........just a normal day in paradise :rolleyes:

Mine didn't turn out perfect, the side tuners on the treble side are 1/16" off. Jumps right out at me, but nobody else seems to notice :lol:

Actually neither, they're Memphis Alnico 2 Rickenbackers ;) LINK. I almost went with the NYII surface mount (and may do that someday) but these just called out to me :lol:

Thanks! I'm workin' on it ;)

Thanks so much! :D

I waited 20 years, didn't make it one damn bit easier or more perfect, I still made plenty of mistakes :rolleyes:. It did meet my criteria, I made a solid slightly oversize tele body so it would be balanced well, and it is, but it rivals a Les Paul in weight :neutral:. Oh well, I have at least a couple of ideas for another one :lol:

15. crazydave911

Thanks Bret

Will do ;)

I might have given that a thought :lol:

16. crazydave911

Well, she's finished more or less (I'll be tweaking the nut and neck shim forever :rolleyes:) :lol:. Intonation was not too much trouble, but seeing as how I'll probably have to re-shim the neck it isn't over either :neutral:. When I recut my neck pocket I meant to take it 1/16" deeper but it appears I took nearly 1/8" :(. Oh well.............
    Being as how this is a combo snakehead headstock with ric layout, I strung it with a straight string pull on each. If you draw a straight line from each string it goes to that tuner. This is not conventional for a ric and makes learning the tuning real interesting :lol: (but it does look good and make it easier to keep in tune)
    Things I'd do different after the fact? Make it semi-hollow (without F holes). It weighs a ton compared to my other guitars. You may recall I made it an oversized tele body, here compared to my Stratele and shortscale bass, you can really appreciate how much bigger it is. My initial plan was to make it semi-hollow...............I should have listened to me :lol:. On the upside, it ain't neck heavy :rolleyes:
    I'm learning how to play it and what amp settings it likes (less is more) and will borrow a camera with audio when I can. I may try to do a sound clip in the meantime. Anyway, here it is ;)

[​IMG]

I have another build (or two) I've been dying to post on so until then..........................Long live the Snakehead!

[​IMG]

Dave

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Bravo , great build Dave , and a fine thread , your snakehead 12 is beautiful. Long live the Snakehead , yea !!

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Awesome Dave!

Can't wait to hear it!

Rob

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

That is one fine looking instrument. Well worth the wait. (for me at least :D)

20. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Very nice...........I enjoyed watching this build Dave.

Jeff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.