Crazy Used Pedal Prices

fendrguitplayr

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Insanity!

Capture.JPG

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
I was looking for a tone bender fuzz clone and seeing the new Boss fuzz way up in price, even the common boss flanger. I think my brother still has the Digitech distortion factory I’ll have to call him soon.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
A lot of the sudden hype on these used pedals is due to YouTube reviews that suddenly boost the demand through the roof. JHS just did a video on the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory and the used price instantly went from $50-60 to $300-500 as everyone just had to have one RIGHT THEN.
Never will understand that kind of impulsivity. :rolleyes:
I saw the episode and I checked them out, but ultimately rated it as a meh on my GAS scale 😴

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, forgot that, and it’s been a couple of years since I’ve sold any pedals there.
So why do some sellers want $15, $20 or more when USPS priority only costs $6 or so?

A small Priority Mail fixed rate box is about $10 now. Ouch!

Shipping for sellers who can't afford or comply with the terms of a big commercial contract has gotten quite expensive. That's why it costs less for someone in China to ship something to you via subsidized mail than it does you to ship a small package 100 miles. A US seller has to add a significant amount to their purchase price to offer "free" shipping, charge a high shipping fee or take a loss.

Kungpow!

Tele-Meister
I check it often, but I think you can still score deals on Craiglist. It seems the cheapest, followed by ebay, then Reverb. But selection is not as broad, or you may have to drive a ways to get it...

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I just found out about a new trick a few people are doing from getting some advance or real time info on rare or discontinued pedals that are mentioned on the JHS Show, That Pedal Show and a few other big audience pedal shows. They go out and buy as many of the soon to be featured pedal as they can then flip them when the price goes up after the show.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
First, I'm willing to pay the money for a quality pedal - I'd buy my Strymon's, Keeley, Hudson or Red Panda pedals again, as they are worth the money.
But I find this kind of exploding prices for an original Tubescreamer or a Nobels overdrive just ridiculous.
If you don't "sound good" without an original 90s Nobels ODR-1, you better check your playing in general. That one piece of gear will not suddenly catapult you into sonic exstacy (also playing a '57 Les Paul into a TS-10 and a Fender '62 Brownface Super will not make you sound better).

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
A small Priority Mail fixed rate box is about $10 now. Ouch!

Shipping for sellers who can't afford or comply with the terms of a big commercial contract has gotten quite expensive. That's why it costs less for someone in China to ship something to you via subsidized mail than it does you to ship a small package 100 miles. A US seller has to add a significant amount to their purchase price to offer "free" shipping, charge a high shipping fee or take a loss.
I regularly ship out single Boss pedals via USPS Priority. As I package them (e.g. not cutting corners), it typically works out to be 1 lb 5 oz. (using the USPS box that's like 7"x7"x6"). From my address to somewhere in VA (e.g. 100 miles or less) is currently a little over $9, so distances further than that are obviously going to be higher.

Also, USPS Priority provides like $50 against loss or damage during shipping. If you've got something rare or valuable, that's obviously going to increase the shipping cost, potentially a lot.