Crazy Used Pedal Prices

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
Yesterday I was looking on Reverb for Fulltone '69 MkII Fuzz pedals...the version that is currently produced and sold by Fulltone, NOT the older, more rare versions. Most listed were used (from good-excellent condition), priced mostly from $150 and UP...PLUS shipping, which was anywhere from $10-$25. So, you're talking $170-200 for the used pedal.

I then bought a brand new '69 Mk II pedal from Sweetwater for $157 with FREE shipping.
Who the hell pays MORE for a USED pedal, when it takes 48 seconds to price an identical new pedal???

I was SHOCKED by the asking prices on older TS-10 Tubescreamers...$650 ?!?!?!
I have one from about 1987...I'd be happy to let it go for a MERE $500 !!!!!
Honestly anyone paying more money for a used pedal that can be bought new is an idiot. I had to ask one seller who was selling a Hologram Electronics Microcosm used for $590 when they can be purchased new directly from the company for $459?

His response was "I am a barter. people like to start out by cutting me at the knees. I start high so i can get fair market value for my items. People are horrible. As you know."

There are no words. All I have to say, please do not pay more for something used if it can be had for less new. Don't encourage these knuckleheads.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am shocked at the prices of used Hardwire pedals. Most of them were in the $70-90 dollar range originally. But now that they are not being made any more I'm seeing a lot of them for almost $200.

I bought a Damage Control Liquid Blues for like $130 bucks mint once. Then they got sucked into the Strymon camp. Now the DC stuff sells for $400-500 bucks. I've seen the Womanizer going for $650.

Even Cmatmods pedals are extra inflated now. Someone on another forum is selling a Butah for $175.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I think any pedal that didn’t sell well and got discontinued is worth more than it cost. But if the company underperformed and went out of business that’s a real gold mine. Talking to you 3Leaf.

I think a sound business strategy would be to have a marketing blast for some fuzz pedals and then pull the website so it looks like the brand went under. Then put the pedals on Reverb for $600 all day long. People will think they’re rare and collectible.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I am shocked at the prices of used Hardwire pedals. Most of them were in the $70-90 dollar range originally. But now that they are not being made any more I'm seeing a lot of them for almost $200.

All it takes is Josh Scott of JHS to make a video about an obscure, discontinued, pedal and the price skyrockets.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday I was looking on Reverb for Fulltone '69 MkII Fuzz pedals...the version that is currently produced and sold by Fulltone, NOT the older, more rare versions. Most listed were used (from good-excellent condition), priced mostly from $150 and UP...PLUS shipping, which was anywhere from $10-$25. So, you're talking $170-200 for the used pedal.

I then bought a brand new '69 Mk II pedal from Sweetwater for $157 with FREE shipping.
Who the hell pays MORE for a USED pedal, when it takes 48 seconds to price an identical new pedal???

I was SHOCKED by the asking prices on older TS-10 Tubescreamers...$650 ?!?!?!
I have one from about 1987...I'd be happy to let it go for a MERE $500 !!!!!

Everything I've ever looked at seems really expensive on reverb, it's party why I've never bought anything on there. I've always managed to find what I was looking for cheaper elsewhere. .... often much cheaper.

middy

Friend of Leo's
People think they can pay for extraordinary tone, when really most of it is in the fingers. It’s easier to shop than practice.
You guys should see what vintage Fender Telecasters go for…

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Honestly anyone paying more money for a used pedal that can be bought new is an idiot. I had to ask one seller who was selling a Hologram Electronics Microcosm used for $590 when they can be purchased new directly from the company for $459?

His response was "I am a barter. people like to start out by cutting me at the knees. I start high so i can get fair market value for my items. People are horrible. As you know."

There are no words. All I have to say, please do not pay more for something used if it can be had for less new. Don't encourage these knuckleheads.
B, but, what about AnAlogMan?
King of Tone hasta be worth more second hand, right?

And after Lovepedal went out of business the used one knob boosts and such doubled in value then they opened again and, uh, stuff?

How about Prescription Electronics?
They were gone for years then their website popped up and got some gear chat chatter driving up prices on oddballs like the Experience that hardly anybody ever actually used?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Was that the $25 copy of a $75 pedal with one extra knob sold for $50?
I can’t remember the price when these dropped. Mine was a couple years old (but mint) and I bought it for CDN$35. It hasn’t left my fx board for over ten years. Easily the best deal for something I actually use. Built like a Boss.

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
B, but, what about AnAlogMan?
King of Tone hasta be worth more second hand, right?

And after Lovepedal went out of business the used one knob boosts and such doubled in value then they opened again and, uh, stuff?

How about Prescription Electronics?
They were gone for years then their website popped up and got some gear chat chatter driving up prices on oddballs like the Experience that hardly anybody ever actually used?
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but the pedals you mentioned deal with supply and demand. Paying $1k for a King of Tone or $600 for a Yardbox is still ridiculous. I have one and I seriously doubt I could get that much for it.

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Probably a curmudgeon who's offended by the possibility a "sales engineer" might call them and that there's candy in the box.

That's because the TS-10 has the SRV mojo baked right into it.
No, John Mayer mojo is why it's expensive now

THX1123

Tele-Holic
Annotation 2022-04-29 1218232.png

Annotation 2022-04-29 121823.png

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 978331

View attachment 978332

Whenever I see listings like this one, and not just guitar related ones, on Reverb, EBay Etsy and elsewhere, I always wonder if they aren't a front for money laundering.

Daddy Hojo

Friend of Leo's
A lot of the sudden hype on these used pedals is due to YouTube reviews that suddenly boost the demand through the roof. JHS just did a video on the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory and the used price instantly went from $50-60 to $300-500 as everyone just had to have one RIGHT THEN.