Crazy things by the roadside.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
I like the brick train near Darlington, full size brick sculpture of Mallard.

brick-train-2.jpg

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
I was driving up the New Jersey turnpike several years ago and saw a goat perched nonchalantly atop the, well, Jersey barrier at the side of the road.

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
595a725a9c027.image.jpg

default.jpg

Probably the craziest I ever saw was a complete toilet sitting by the curb, a block down from my house, waiting to be picked up by the trash crew. Now, a few weeks before I had been working on my master bath's toilet and had taken the lid off and leaned it on the vanity. My dogs came in to supervise, knocked down the lid, and shattered it. I found a place on the Internet (CHEAPTOILETLIDS.COM) that collects and sells nothing except toilet parts and they wanted nearly $100 plus shipping. Now, understand that all the houses in my part of the neighborhood were built by one developer who bought everything en masse, so I knew the lid would fit mine - and it was even the right color. I found this toilet at five AM as I was going to work. I quickly went back home, grabbed a plastic trash bag, and returned. I crept out of my car in the dark of morning, purloined the derelict toilet lid, and tip-toed back to my car. After being sanitized, the lid has served my family dutifully in our master bath. All at the cost of nothing except my pride.

Bob
Pedro is my real name, hahahahaha.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Herd of horses...sculptures. Vicinity Montana/Wyoming line...the next photo on the camera was to the 45th Parallel sign.

View attachment 871177 View attachment 871178 View attachment 871179 View attachment 871180 View attachment 871181 View attachment 871182

Now that I look at them again...it may be the herd Ghostrider Slade got his horse from;).

Nice! I drove from Louisiana to Wyoming in the summer of 2019 and it was awesome. I got all sorts of pictures. The 450 million year old mountains were pretty cool, too. I think out of all the pics I took, this one is probably the best.

Edit: I thought it was wider than that but I guess not.

FB_IMG_1625738462184.jpg

We ended up getting in a bad wreck on the way back. Right around the state line between Texas and Oklahoma, up in the NW corner in the panhandle. Literally the middle of nowhere at 2am in the morning. Totalled the car. It sucked. Had to have someone come get us 12 hours from home. It was me and a ex-buddy of mine. Haven't spoken to him since the day after when we got home.

I ended up kicking him out of my house when we got back at 4am the next day. The entire way home, he was talking crap about my Dad, whos 70 and drove 12 hours to come get us. Plus a bunch of other bs he pulled on the way back. It got to the point that I almost left him in the middle of nowhere with no way to get home but I just kept my mouth shut and drove.

When we got to my house, I let his sorry a** have it. And we aren't friends anymore. I'll be damned if you're gonna talk bad about my Dad after what he did to help us. Nope. Not happening. My Dad is a GREAT man and I'll be damned if I let that sorry SOB talk down on him like he was.

Last edited:

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
In Powell, TN, about a mile from my first married home:

TNPOWplane_ks02_620x300.jpg

The Airplane Service Station was built in the 1930s as a roadside novelty by two brothers, Elmer and Henry Nickle, who loved airplanes. I had relatives in the area. Whenever we would travel up that way I'd beg my dad to let us stop and see it. In the 1970s the gas station closed and it eventually became derelict. By 2003, the bulldozers were dispatched to raze it. Then a group of locals formed a society, purchased the building, and completely restored it. The current tenant is a barber shop. Here it is in the 1930s:

TNPOWplane_prov01_620x300.jpg

It am tickled pink that they preserved this memory from my childhood. More HERE. And, GOOGLE MAPS STREET VIEW.

My family used to vacation at Jekyll Island, GA, in the 1960s, back when it was a quiet backwater island. There was a road that ran around the perimeter of the island. At one point, right in front of the old Jekyll Club, there was a tree that hung down about seven feet over the road. There were several signs to warn you. One summer, as we drove onto the island and headed up the western part of the road towards the campground, we came across a "crazy roadside thing." There was a pickup truck with a camper shell stopped at the tree. The shell was clearly too high for the tree so the tree had neatly cleaned the shell right off the truck, leaving it lying in the road. The front of the shell was no longer water tight. The father was looking perplexed and the kids were sitting on the side of the road, clearly having the time of their lives soaking up the attention. Last time I visited the tree was still there but the road no longer went under it. Tree-1, truck-0.

Bob

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
I saw a giant dinosaur in Virginia once, but of course you had to pay admission to see it up close. East Coast has no sense of humor.