1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Crazy" mods

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by lstdukestking, Mar 8, 2015.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

what's up with the pickguard on that guy? i love the look of it... kinda reminds me of the old japanese/russian tele knockoffs...

2. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

I have a couple of Squiers with upgraded parts worth more than the original guitar.

1) MIM Squier tele that I had Esquired with a Callaham pre-wired control plate, Callaham mint guard, eletrosocket/switchcraft jack and a Fralin bridge pickup.

2) Squier Master Series Tele Thinline HH -- TV Jones Classic neck and Lollar Imperial bridge pickups, Callaham bridge.

I don't mind upgrading the Squiers as much since their resale value is already low. I say mod away.

3. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My Deluxe Nashville has more $ in mod parts that I've done than I paid for the instrument (brand new from the box).

My Baja BSB... bought used, otherwise as above.

I believe the same can be said for both Highway One Texas Teles that I have.

In general, all above have in common these mods off the top of my head:
    -total rewire with completely different components, including knobs and often, plates
    -pickups replaced (typically Barden Modern-T)
    -bridge replaced (typically Barden 3-barrel angle compensated)
    -Bakelite single ply 5-screw 'guard
    -locking strap (DiMarzio ClipLock)
    -locking tuners (typically Gotoh SDS510HAP-M
    -Keith banjo D-tuner on low-E

4. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

Glad I'm not the only one. At some point I'm going to put Bardens in my FSR and probably put the FSR pups in my Squier. I like them more than the Virtual Ts.

5. ericrutters

ericrutters TDPRI Member

this is the reason i bought a squier. So i could mod it up and not feel bad, but it has become a monster and the only original parts are the neck and the body and they have both been modded as well.:p

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

The palm pedal was gold (not my choice - it was the only one I could find for sale in pre-internet days). I didn't have access to/couldn't afford a gold Tele bridge or control plate and didn't want to mix gold and chrome. Found a gold Gibson style bridge that would work and after a lot of thought, decided the best bet would be to design a pickguard that would allow me to mount the pickup and controls on it. I based the shape on a combination of a regular Tele pickguard and the Custom/Deluxe style.

Not the prettiest solution but it worked. Eventually, finding the pedals got in the way of palm muting, I experimented with other benders and re-designated the Palm Pedal Tele as my studio bender.

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I recently got a CV BSB tele and I don't think I will change anything about it. There are a few VM's in my "arsenal", which are modded by Squier themselves, so I wouldn't have to do it myself.

There's one Affinity (got two) I'll change. I recently got a set of American Standard pickups from 2001, and I'll change the electronics as well... And I have a "double" feeling about it.

The guitar plays great and I'm not too fond of its bridge pickup, so this should be an upgrade and on the other hand I have a bad feeling because it won't be original anymore...

8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Got a affinity tele that had a nice fender indo neck of CL for $100. Then did up new pots, 4-way switch, keystones, 50's piw cap, foiled and stripped the heavy poly and filler and did tung oil finish... then after a year or so gave it away to a young aspiring slinger along with an old ptp se el84 amp :rolleyes:

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

looks like a pro job to me... at least in that picture :D

that guitar just oozes cool!

10. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

I once saw a $500 Blue Note record 'upcycled' into a $5 fruit bowl.

As a record guy, it will never Not make me feel a heady mixture of negative emotions seeing a record ruined for some other purpose.

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

12. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Thanks and my CVC is slowly approaching a similar status, just a bit at a time. Not even sure how it happens...it just does...:eek:

14. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

Bought a used CVC for $300. I wanted taller frets so that cost $260 with a bone nut, Don Mare pickups that were about $200, new 3-way switch at $15. Compensated bridge saddles from CJ Tooling $40.I love this guitar and am not regretting any of it. I've paid more for less over the years and I'll never let this one go so it was worth every penny to get it how I wanted it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  15. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't have done that to a "collectible." The record I used was an $8 ebay special that was an off-label compilation.

16. ericrutters

ericrutters TDPRI Member

Sorry for any miscommunication but mine is an affinity nicod98. I don't think i would mod a nice Squier standard series. Maybe pickups if it needed them. but this was a $100 guitar. I bought it with the intentions of seeing how far i could stretch it. Ive got almost twice that that in the pickups now. The only original parts are the body and neck and the body has been taken to bare wood and lightly sealed with polycrylic. The neck is more or less original i did take the sheen off the back with some steel wool, polish the frets, and add a tusq nut.

17. androo

androo Tele-Holic

Oh hells yes I have! My CV50 has been through quite a few changes. All in good fun, and I've loved every minute of it. I bought it when they just came out...and here's my list:

1st reincarnation
    Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian pickup (CC Rider)
    3 ply w/b/w pickguard cut for the CC

2nd reincarnation
    Toneriders Blues Classic bridge and neck
    Glendale double cut bridge plate
    Glendale compensated brass saddles
    3 ply w/b/w Tele guard
    Electrosocket Jack Cup

3rd reincarnation...and my favorite to date!
    Eldred Cocked Wah prewired Harness with 4 way switching
    Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge pickup
    Gotoh double cut bridge with compensated brass saddles (the Glendale is on a Washburn Laredo LT92)
    3 ply w/b/w Esquire guard
    Dome knobs

I'd add it up, but yep...for sure it's more than the guitar was originally :D

Here we've got the 2nd version, and the 3rd and favorite Esquired version. Wish I had a shot of the CC Rider setup. That was fun.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.