Crazy Clapton conversation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Charlie Bernstein, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I never talk music with anyone IRL, ever. If someone mentions a guitar player or other musician to me for some reason, I just say "yeah.... cool, they do some interesting stuff" and move on. I got into Clapton for a minute, I really like that album of Robert Johnson covers he did that most people hate. As far as "Beano", I don't know, there's like 3 songs on there that I like . His 70s radio hits? i heard enough of that in the 70s. Otherwise, yeah... cool, he's done some interesting stuff.

2. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I guess you just had to be there, now get off my lawn !!!

3. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Some of Eric's best playing in years is on his recent Christmas album. As a musician I think he has grown more as a vocalist than as a guitar player. I know people say that he can let it rip when he wants to but I guess he seldom wants to.

Chester Burnett likes this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Clapton has had a long career. Unless someone has listened to everything he has done and put it in the context of the times and his life their judgement might be a knee jerk reaction to a small sample. That is true for judging anyone in any career that has spanned over 50+ years.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Funny, I had the same conversation with a friend about the Beatles. Those guys were so influential that what sounded fresh and new in 1966 has just become part of the popular conciousness. I think when discussing music, you have to take the time period into account.

Clapton is the same way. He became synonymous with "guitar player" for most of his life, and his music is so ingrained that it has become a cliche, even though he was fresh and exciting to a whole generation of players once upon a time.

Matt G likes this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

And Vanilla Ice

7. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Exactly- he was the first real Les Paul>Marshall guy. His tone in the Bluesbreakers and Cream influenced pretty much every rocker since...myself included, of course!

8. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

He has great phrasing,

richiek65 likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

At this late date does it matter what any of us think of Clapton? He's had a successful career on and off since 1963. He's rich, he can still sell out stadiums and arenas, he can even get Alexander Dumble to build him an amp. His influence is everywhere in rock music, just Like Jimi's. There may be guitarists that you like better or even believe that are better players but it's not going to change history.

10. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It art. It’s familiarity.

11. bcorig

Well said.

richiek65 and stnmtthw like this.
  12. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

Clapton is a guitar god. He influenced so many people to pick up a guitar and learn. As earlier mentioned, he seems diluted now compared to the over abundance of people doing blues rock, but when he started out, he was hugely influential and inspirational. He wrote some great classic rock songs while doing it as well.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Is it a Boomer thing to want formative influences to be and remain the best, for all time? And to want all future generations to agree? It feels like a uniquely Boomer thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    getbent and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. bcorig

I’ve never seen this - it’s great. However, the intro is almost note for note out of their collaboration on Blues Before Sunrise on the In Session album. Great version of Texas Flood.

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh, one if the classic guitar forum thread topics

16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Eddie Van Halen on Clapton:

"Eric Clapton is basically the only guitarplayer who influenced me – even though I don't sound like him. There was a basic simplicity to his playing, his style, his vibe and his sound. He took a Gibson guitar and plugged it into a Marshall, and that was it. The basics. The blues. His solos were melodic and memorable – and that's what guitar solos should be, part of the song. I could hum them to you.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's still cool to listen to Donovan.

18. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I really enjoy EC’s sideman skills. He plays acoustic guitar really well, a lot of blues rockers struggle with that. He hardly ever overplays or sounds out of place.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Clapton’s style is waaaay more influenced by Freddie King.

Donovan is a third or fourth tier artist at best. In a decade like the 60’s ? He wouldn’t even be in the top 50 of musicians I’d recommend someone to listen to from that period. Very dated crap.

I do a mean (very mean) but accurate Donovan impression that I’m not proud of , especially that dunderheaded spoken word intro to Atlantis ... :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

The point has already been made that to understand an artist's contribution, he or she has to be considered within the context of the era that they played.

Yes, the British artists listened to American race music and introduced American kids to blues and rock. If the British Invasion had not come along, you would have continued to hear Fabian, Dion and the Belmonts and Pat Boone on top 40 radio.

In the Yardbirds, Eric was pushing the envelope with his sound and style. He left the Yardbirds because he thought they were becoming too commercial.

The Beano album with John Mayall was when he was christened God...I love his Freddie King influences and Hideaway. A re-interpretation of blues, maybe...but NOBODY else was doing it.

In "THE Cream" (of the Crop) as Eric himself used to refer to themselves, they invented the extended jams, psychadelia and introduced a jazz influence, and along with the Who, were among the first to play at deafening volumes. I don't care if the solos for "Crossroads" were edited together...anyone who could play with that kind of fire gets my vote.

He was a MAJOR trend setter in which guitar he played and others wanted to copy...not once, but TWICE.
    The gold top Les Paul/Marshall combination with Mayall in 1966 and switching to the Strat in the early 70's (Derek and the Dominos).

When Chas Chandler offered to take an unknown and starving Jimi James (Hendrix) to England, his only response was..."do I get to meet (and jam with) Eric Clapton?" That pretty much puts it in context for me.

Matt G, stevemc, willie ray and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.