Crazy Clapton conversation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Charlie Bernstein, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

I hate to say it, but I agree with Jon. I always found Clapton boring..for lack of a better term. Maybe in his day he was something, I mean he was obviously admired by many who were greats themselves..I’m just little old me, so take my opinion as you will.

Chanan likes this.
  2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

An important part of my so-called narrative about my rock and jazz days, was when I was 16. My band had been playing around town, and I was definitely geared towards Cream, Hendrix, and others. It was the bluesy, sustained singing sound of Clapton that I embraced. I really work on my bends and vibrato.

Anyway, a college-aged guy told me that I sounded "just like Clapton." That was an important moment for me, some kind of validation, I guess.

As far as Clapton's career and output, I liked Mayall and Cream best. Two landmark solos for me are Stormy Monday live with Mayall, and the Crossroads soloing (is it true that the solos were comped?)

GibbyTwin, bftfender and TigerG like this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like him or not. Eric always gave credit where credit was due.

B.B. King once gave the British blues rockers kudos for bringing attention to the American black blues artists.

He(B.B.) claimed without them, people in the US might not have known who they were.

Whether you think he's an average artist or guitar God. He has had a pretty good run.

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

The best thing Clapton did was the Beano album...but boy, if that had been his only legacy then that would have been enough. That classic Les Paul-->overdriven Marshall sound was invented right there.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I was a big enough fan of EC back when I was a kid. Had the Beano record, and all the dearly Cream stuff. Later on, h ejust kinda got predictable and boring. He appeared on EVERY awards show, tribute show, anniversary show...

There is a great video available on Youtube, where all these great artists are doing Bob Dylan's "My Back Pages". It is beautiful... stunningly sweet and beautiful. Jim McQuinn, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bob Dylan his own self! And then EC takes a '"lead", and it's just the whole feel is gone, here's this guy playing diddly lead guitar that has nothing to do with it, but he HAS to do it because he is Eric Clapton.

6. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

I agree Clapton is for the most part, boring.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I could live happily without ever hearing Beano or Cream again , to me that is a part of history , nothing more....
    I actually like hearing him playing straight blues , or his stuff from the eighties-up. I absolutely hate the way his guitar sounds like a keyboard sometimes , but some of the music is quite good.
    There are far better guitarists out there today , but he did all right in his day....decades ago.

8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

the guy used to be God for crying out loud.get a clue!;)

9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm another who loved Clapton's early stuff but have been bored with him for decades.

10. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

He may be "boring" to some, but there is no one else quite like him. And he has managed to stay relevant and adjust his style/music for the past 50+ years. He is in a category of his own. This is when the difference between a "guitarist" and a "musician" comes up for discussion. There may be many superior guitarists to EC, but very few can be compared with him as a musician and a "brand" who has lasted all these years.

TigerG likes this.
  11. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I like Clapton, always have, always will. He was, and is, an important guitar player.

I've found much inspiration, and have gotten many, many hours of enjoyment from his work. We should all be able to sing, play, and write a tune as well as he has for decades. We'd all be filling Youtube and guitar forums with examples of our magnificence. ;0)

Clapton has one of the finest vibratos there is.

I'm happy to have lived during his time.

upload_2019-3-23_16-56-58.png

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

why the need for him to understand your perspective? why not spend some time understanding his. then, he might be interested in yours.

13. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I guess no one here liked “From the Cradle”. To me that album really defined EC’s blues chops but I also think SRV was the second coming so what do i know?:D

Uncle Butch and John How like this.
  14. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I don't see the point about the car. Englebert Humperdinck probably has a nice set of wheels.

Bassman8 and Manual Slim like this.
  15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

It took me a long time to warm up to SRV. I didn't see why I had to listen to him when I already had a stack of Albert King and Jimi Hendrix albums. Later I began to appreciate the depth of his knowledge.

But Albert King is The Man, and always will be. I think both SRV and Clapton have both always agreed with that. Lord knows they've both directly lifted enough of his licks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    TeleTucson and StrangerNY like this.
  16. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Good quote, and I agree with you. I LOVE SRV. Love. But, he is heavily Albert King influenced. Throw in some Clapton and especially Hendrix, and there is SRV. He could play his ass off, but he wasn't terribly inventive. At least not yet.

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I don't get excited about Clapton or Hendrix ... they are (were) good at what they do (did). I have known a lot of guitar players ... that you have probably or may have heard of that would just bury them. (None of them are me BTW just to be clear) What Clapton and Hendrix did do is bring a form or type of guitar sound into general acceptance. So that was their real contribution.
    Me I prefer guys like Pat Martino (especially his newer stuff) and some of the other heavies hanging around my hometown.
    Alvin Lee played circles around Clapton. Larry Coryell would too. I like listening to Clapton BTW. Im not bashing him, on the other hand I was never much of a Hendrix fan. Larry Coryell thought he was the greatest musician in history ... (back in 72 anyway)
    It is all perception, personal affinity and experience.

Bones likes this.
  18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife can't stand his singing voice, whereas I think his voice is incredible. And his playing can almost bring me to tears. Something about EC just speaks to me

Thinliner, DonM and Maricopa like this.
  19. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I'm no EC fanboy, but his lead solo has at least as much continuity within the context of that performance as Neil Young's overdriven screeching break near the end of the song. In fact, I would argue that Clapton's compressed, soaring melodic style cuts a clear path back to the verse, which not coincidentally is the one he sings. Besides, a tribute album (which is what this performance is part of) inherently is about signature performances, which EC and NY both unmistakably deliver, and I'm pleased to hear them both.

willie ray and Maricopa like this.
  20. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Played the grooves off Beano. Loved his tone with Cream. He’s intuitive with bends.

If it hasn’t been for Clapton, there are lots of great guitarists I may never have heard—Freddy King, for example.

I’ve seen him live twice, both fine concerts. But 40 years ago.

Some like him. Some don’t.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.