1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Crazy checking/cracks in CS Nitro finish

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by DaveG_NJ, Dec 18, 2019.

1. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

When I think of nitro checking, I picture those intricate patterns of small cracks, not long straight cracks that wrap around the body. I was looking at a guitar that had crazy cracks in the nitro that wrapped entirely around the body, front to back (including the sides), against the grain. Maybe the guitar was dropped on it's tail and the thing shattered? Just wondering if the finish would hold up or just fall off one day. This is a NOS Finish according to the Floor Traveller. Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 11.38.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 11.37.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 11.37.29 AM.png

2. DBCooper22

DBCooper22 TDPRI Member

Thats awesome!

3. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Ah...I picture it just peeling/cracking off eventually.

It does look like it was dropped on its tail and compressed the finish downward?

4. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That happens from rapid temperature changes, not falls. It took time, but once the finish on my old Music Man Sabre II got lacquer checked it started falling off in small chunks.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

Yikes - not what I wanted to hear. I had a Martin Eric Clapton 000-28EC with nitro finish and the previous owner used a screw-clamp type capo that dented the back of the neck in various spots. The cracks turned to flakes and then fell off in places, making the neck really uncomfortable. I don't mind the look of this Tele with the cracks, but the owner says you can feel them (i.e., they're not below the surface). Guess I'll take a pass on this one.

6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

This is what happens to nitro, if you want a pristine finish that keeps on trucking, that's what poly is for.

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've definitely seen many guitars with finish cracks like that in them.

8. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

How much do you love the feel/sound/neck of the guitar? How important is the finish to you? Once those guitars get checked they seem to open up a bit soundwise. Still, I'd ask for a substantial discount if they're asking a premium price.

9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Cracks like that tend to happen from temperature change, its a technique used by the copyists instead of using an air gun to create lacquer checking . Leave the part in the sun all day then put it in the freezer over night . Do that a few times and you get crazy checking. Its possible this guitar was left in a hot car all day thats then dropped to freezing temps over night would be my guess , a drop wouldnt do that. Shouldn't really flake off , look at old les Pauls they get the cracks but not really big chunks flaking off .

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Happens to jazz boxes all the time. They look awesome!

11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

There was an Orville Les Paul locally that had been “relic’d” and looked like that. It was the one thing that stopped me from buying the otherwise really nice guitar.

I don’t know how common that is naturally, but it doesn’t look cool to me.

12. Yazam

Yazam TDPRI Member

Awesome

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That looks like the finish is thicker than normal. Could also be that the finish is modern nitro and doesn't check like the old stuff because it's of a different composition.

It's also custom shop so maybe they just hit it differently with a scalpel.
    The lunch bell rang before he finished checking it?

It looks like a nice burst.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd have it. If you wanted NOS, then not for you, but otherwise I don't see that finish going anywhere. It's gorgeous.

pickaguitar, NicDo and TeleTown like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.