1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Craziest amp component you ever made?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dougsta, Aug 28, 2020.

1. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

I (like most folks!) hoard all manner of parts/stuff with the honest intention of using it, maybe just a spare fuse all the way up to a Frankensteins monster build at the edge of my imagination.

This also includes finding a use for something which it was not intended, eg a transformer pulled from a solid state amp.

I have a 2kg/4lb power transformer pulled from a Peavey Bandit 112 Sheffield staring at me saying USE ME and the cab/chassis waiting for a new life. The amp and 2 guitars (a 1965 MIJ Tiesco 4 pickup job and a 1980s strat copy) cost me 20 bucks.

Maybe I could use the iron is to pull it apart and wind it as a HT and filament, though I've never wound one before... but it means I could make a pretty wild custom winding scheme.

So, what have you guys made component wise?

This guy makes his own tubes:

Doug

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Improvisation...
    I once pulled a fan out of my girlfriend's range hood to replace the dead compressor fan in her fridge. Worked like a champ, and didn't even rattle like it did in the range hood. Saved $$$.

Oh, you want music-related? I found a rectangular Fender guitar case was an exact, perfect fit for my Korg DW8000 synth. Just took out the neck brace/pocket. The fit was actually airtight.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    stepvan and tubegeek like this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I made a flickering *on* light from LEDs I found at the dollar store. They have the LED votive candles that flicker to simulate a candle burning.

The project was a 5E3 stuffed into a late 1930's Philco radio cabinet. I used the flickering light in the radio dial location. Turned out pretty sweet. It was powered from the 5E3 pilot lamp, so both would function indicating the amp was *on*. DSCN1319.JPG DSCN1316.JPG

4. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Have used a lot of transformers out of old radios and reel-to-reels, but I don't know if that's all that creative just salvage.

I have also rolled my own opto isolators for tremolo circuits using a LDR and led or neon bulbs. Works great and way cheaper than buying a premade component especially when the one I needed was the neon bulb driven version for a ampeg reverberocket restoration.

6. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Once rewound a strat pickup using the copper wire out of a small block Chevy starter,

AND I also have ocean front property in Wyoming!

All kidding aside I tend to save dead electronics with the intent to scrap out what I can to build a small amp. At the point of just buying a kit and make all the noob mistakes that everyone else before me has.

7. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

I've wound pickups, that wire breaks if you even breath on it.

How high up do you need to be to see the ocean?

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Nothing too crazy.

I remapped a socket so I could use a modern 8-pin dual opamp in my Polytone Mini Brute, instead of the unobtainium RC4739 14-pin dual opamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

Anyone used those large tuning capacitors from old radios?

Today I'll try to get the guts out of this PT from a peavey 100w ss amp, the smaller xformers are a reverb and choke for a deluxe reverb build.

Attached Files:

10. XTRXTR

XTRXTR TDPRI Member

I bought a cheap bass case for like 20 bucks, then purchased two sets of fishing pole rod holders, screwed three of them to the inside top of the case then purchased bulk strings from a place that just sold strings, enough for about 36 full restrings, and stuck about 12 at a time into each separate fishing rod place holder. each holder had 6 spaces This way I didn't have to unravel the stupid packages strings usually come in and I could visually identify which string I need by its place in the holder. The bottom side still has its compartment for other string changing and guitar cleaning implements.

I play hard and heavy with stainless steel picks so I break a lot of strings, also the wound part gets ground off within 1 to two shows. I go through some strings.

Oh I built two rackmount 4U size 2204 amp chassis

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    dougsta likes this.
  11. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

A few years back I built a 12 string electric from wood salvaged from a pallet, the bridge was some 1/4" brass bar I "milled" on a drill press and cross slide. Wound the pickups too. Only thing I didn't make was the tuners, pots/caps/jacks and pickup covers. I lucked out on the pallets as they had some hardwood oak 2x4.
    A video/sound clip of it here, tho only with six strings, also has a few shots of my pallet tele, finger board was from a local sycamore (think maple) tree branch.
    Close up of the 12 string bridge at 1.26.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Just remembered, I added an Eico (or similar) tremolo kit to my first amp when I was a kid, a Harmony like this...
    upload_2020-8-30_16-48-37.png

upload_2020-8-30_17-4-38.png

I probably replaced two of the input jacks with the pots or maybe put them where the logo is (upper right) and I think I might have powered it from the filament supply. This would have been like 1964...last seen when I sold it to my dad's friend and I graduated to a Heathkit.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    dougsta likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've hand wound a few chokes and inductors.

I've also built a bunch of distributed mode loudspeakers (DMLs) for stereo and guitar using audio exciters and various materials like foamcore board, 3/16" plywood, thin polycarbonate sheet, foam paper plates, and a bunch of other stuff. It's pretty astonishing how good they sound for what they are, and it's also a whole lot of fun. Here's a peek at the wacky stuff you can do with them.

Here's a really good demonstration of how materials affect the sound:

My plan is to find a pair of decent cheepo classical guitars and make a pair of stereo speakers.

14. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

Nice, be about the same time you got your 1st electirc shock, I still remember mine when I was 15, 240v mains from the wall socket, took my 1st ss amp to bits to try to find a rattle/buzz from a loose component/solder joint. My older brother who was at college studying electronics offered to help, he destroyed it beyond repair! He probably did it on purpose because I knocked over his bass guitar and it snapped at the classic head stock area. He's gone now, he got me into early Genesis, think of him everytime I put on the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or Selling England by the Pound.

15. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

I have a few small 5 watt SE transformers, the make good chokes.

16. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

While "repairing" a tilt-tip optical component mount I destroyed a tiny little spring, about 1/8" long and 1/8" diameter and about 5 turns. I wrapped a new one out of piano wire, but it took a few tries.

I managed to buy a bunch of those on ebay just about the time I stopped needing them. This is my usual story ...

tubegeek and Peegoo like this.
  17. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For my Superchamp
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.