Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 Combo Volume Drop Problem

dkwallis

TDPRI Member
My Crate VC 50 2x12 has developed a volume drop out problem. I thought it might be a bad preamp tube-one of them was blackened a bit at the top. But I swapped it into another amp (and a good one from that one back into the Crate) and the tube is fine. It may be a main power tube...they all pass the chopstick test and light up just fine, though. I have the head version of the amp, too (working fine) so may swap tubes with it to see.

The odd thing is that vigorously jiggling the input jack restores full sound, but only momentarily. I deoxied the input pretty thoroughly but it didn't help.

The sound drops all at once (not a fade or fizzle), with a static crackle noise, and it sound like a scooped out drop, like it's going from 50 watts to One tinny watt. Is that the preamp just hanging in there while the main power comes and goes?

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Are there breakout jacks in the back, if so clean those. Speaker jack too.
If that doesn't help, you might have a cold solder joint. Reheat suspect joints if you can, or take to someone qualified if not.

Jon Snell

Tele-Afflicted
Check the effects loop socket/s and the header that it plugs into.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 07.31.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 07.31.47.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 23

vanr

Tele-Afflicted
My VC-50H started doing this one night at rehearsal. I took it home, cleaned all the jacks, tube sockets and plugs with Deoxit and it fixed it.

Burning Fingers

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
If wiggling the input jack brings it to life again ( albeit briefly ) then it is probably a bad input socket solder joint or a bad socket