1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

crash footage of Flight 102 - shocking and viewer discretion

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Breen, May 1, 2013.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. Dream analysis anyone?

2. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

That is horrible...

I work on aircraft and I have the most vivid nightmares of planes crashing...military, civilian, all sorts...

They crash in slow motion, relatively, but they all look like that plane did...loss of power, heel over and...

different plane types, different crashes, but the same result.

I've had these dreams hundreds of times...I don't know if it's my subconscious keeping me "honest" at work or what...it was very disturbing at first, now not so much. But they still rattle me at times...

I lost my Baby brother to a plane crash, and while at A&P school my class witnessed a small plane crashing...by the time we got to the site the pilot had extricated himself and was standing there in shock.

I kept a piece of the wreckage for years, a reminder of the serious nature of my work...

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember years back practicing stalls in Pipers, 140/180/Arrow etc.
    You do it with ample altitude, in case. You'll need the time falling with no thrust which will allow you to get the plane flying again. When the ground it that close, you have no chance.

It has got to be the worst feeling in the world when what happens happened, the pilot well knows the outcome. Like in The Hunt for Red October when the torpedo turns back on the Sub and "You've killed us' is spoken. You know what is coming and not a thing you can do about it.

God Speed

4. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

When I was younger I saw a British Royal Air Force Avro Vulcan B2 bomber crash into a landfill. It was really bizarre, banking really hard and barely moving, just a giant plane on its side hanging in the air.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It's not an engine stall that is the issue, it is an aerodynamic stall that is the issue. In short terms, it is an excessive angle of attack that causes separation of airflow over the wings and a loss of lift. The turbine fans can stall, but that is not the likely issue.

It has been reported that the Nat'l cargo pilots reported a shift in the cargo over the radio.

I don't know how many will remember this, but there was a similar takeoff stall and crash in Charlotte, NC 10 years ago. It was a smaller turboprop and several things figured in, but weight and balance and a possible shift were involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Midwest_Flight_5481

A similar crash of a cargo plane occurred in Miami back in 1997.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/08/us/3-are-killed-as-cargo-plane-crashes-in-miami.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/deadlyexpress/partone/fineair.html

6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

How horrible. Very sad for the families.

7. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Then I guess the term "compressor stall" is a misnomer? :oops:

But yes, the wings were in a stalled condition, not the engines.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

"A compressor stall is a situation of abnormal airflow resulting from a stall of the aerofoils within the compressor of a jet engine."

I stand so corrected!

9. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

so... then... why did you click on this thread?

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I drive past BWI twice a day. I’ve noticed them climb and turn for the last two mornings since seeing that video.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

seems the loadmaster messed up. its almost always human error.

we had an f16 go down about 1 year ago right after takeoff. the dude was a training pilot, but was still able to punch out . the plane hit a house but nobody was hurt, except a dog I think. before they even get in a plane they train for thousands of hours, thats why they are so fast at reaction.

oh and I used to have dreams of seeing planes crash all the time too, but then they stopped maybe 10 years ago. I used to dream about planes and helicopters crashing. weird, and seemingly pretty common.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. Mjark

I talked to buddy who was a USAF Load Master. He says it appears one of vehicles in the plane was totally unsecured and when it shifted it busted loose every thing behind it.

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The crew that loaded and secured the cargo were on the plane when it crashed. On a cargo plane it is the planes crew that is responsible for loading, positioning and securing the cargo - not the ground crew.

Not that it really makes any difference. It's still a very tragic event that will affect a lot of people.

14. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

15. Mjark

That's much more mysterious then.

16. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Awful, just awful. Saddest condolences to the families and friends of those on board.

That jumbo certainly didn't look abnormally "weighted" when it hit the ground, probably would've started flying again with enough height. It's like there was a loss of power in the climb and it just stopped being a 'plane....inaccurate instrument readings at rotation, throttles not fully open, bird/s in engine/s? They'll find out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.