Cranked AC30...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dave_O, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I don't think any pedal or model will capture this--

We were rehearsing last night for a show on the weekend. After everyone left I hung out for a while to tweak pedals- some of the songs seemed to call for some fuzz-power for slide.
    The last fuzz I owned was a Coloursound 3-knob Tonebender back in the late 70s, so while I remember it sounded "good", my memory of how it really sounded is probably a little... ummm... fuzzy? (Ouch)

I tried a some fuzz pedals from my bandmate Jamie (blargfromspace)-
    Wilson Meat Grinder, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Blackberry Fuzz (? Raspberry? Gooseberry? I forget...), MXR 108, and my BWM modded-Rat clone set as fuzzy as possible...
    Nice and all, but maybe after all that I just ain't a "fuzz" kinda guy. My ears liked my VS Route 66 OD best with Blue Boy (my '82 Ibanez Blazer which I'll be using for these gigs), so go figure...

It's a 6 piece outfit with keys, so we need to be quite disciplined with onstage dynamics and levels. Once I'd finished with all that tweaking, I had to get a volume fix-- so I bypassed everything and cranked the volume on the amp (the one in my avatar photo) to "FLAT OUT", which is how I used to run it in my power-pop band days.

Good Lord...

I've heard some of the AC30-character pedals (Liverpool, BC30). They're not even close. Sorry, but no cigar...
    Nothing sounds as sweet AND as downright ornery as an AC30 on the verge of meltdown.
    I crashed and wailed through a bunch of songs (YouAmI, PollyAnna, Thin Lizzy, Hoodoo Gurus, The Jam, Pistols) with a watermelon grin on my face for about 15 minutes.
    When I was leaving, there was a couple of young guys in the lounge area who seemed a little surprised an old fart like me was cranking out the riffs.
    One of them (obviously the guitarist) asked me about which pedal I was using to get the dirt sound.
    When I figured he was talking about the last part of my wail-fest, I told him "None. Just the amp running flat out".
    Should have seen the look on his face...:D

2. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

I have an AC-30 and opening that baby up with my 335 is pure bliss.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

:D

[​IMG]

4. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

Sometimes you just have to let it rip. It's a great feeling standing in front of a powerful amp at full throttle - moving all that air, the sound vibrating your body. Just remember to take car of your hearing.

5. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

+1.

Funny thing is that in a fully carpeted/soundproofed rehearsal room it wasn't even that deafening.

6. yipman

yipman TDPRI Member

i always play straight into the amp on full at gigs... sounds much fuller than any pedal ive tried.. the only problem is when the sound guy (usually) says - "err can you turn it down"

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

there's nothing that sounds like an AC30 maxed out. I was lucky that at my previous house that I lived in for 3 years, I could play at any volume I liked and the neighbours were fine. I'd get home from work and let it rip for a few hours.

there isn't a pedal that comes close

8. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Flat out is the only good tone that comes out of an AC-30. I'm not surprised they were impressed, especially when the fire brigade turn up to put the sucker out or was that just my 60s one?

9. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Yep, that was just yours. Didn't like it much, did you?

I bought this one new in 1991 (built 1987, in England according to the handwritten pencil note on the circuit board. All valve except for the rectifier. I believe they were made in the Marshall factory before the Korg re-issues came out)
    I quite like actual 60s Top Boosts, but they are very spendy here. And (heresy, I know) but I'm not a fan of the Blue Bulldog speakers.

Mine sounds good anywhere on the volume control.

And in 22 years, it hasn't caught fire yet...

10. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Looks like you dodged the bullet then on original vox toaster oven.

11. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

One of the best tones I have ever heard was a mid 60's ac30. That and a blonde bassman are the amps I'll get if I ever have the space or cash.

12. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I'm totally with you on the blonde bassman that is a fine sounding amp.

13. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

They had a rep for that back in their early days, that's true. But I've not seen or heard of an AC30 having an OT "flameout" since the late 70s.

14. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

I've seen a late 60's AC30 catch fire on 3 different occasions... That was in the early 2000's, just fyi. But I do love the tone from an AC30, specifically guys like Buddy Miller. Also Paisley's first couple records before th Dr. Z amps was pretty good too. I actually prefer them as a roots rock, alt country machine.

15. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

That's the way I feel about fender amps.

16. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I had a similar revelation yesterday. I've been tweaking and geeking and lusting over all sorts of overdrive and distortion pedals, trying to find the magic tone. Yesterday, I turned my Deluxe Reverb Reissue up to 10 and went nuts. It sounded incredible, much better than any pedal I've used. It's just not practical when I'm home playing by myself but man what a pure sound. Next time I jam with the fellas I hope I can open it up like that, it was very inspiring.

17. Olgabowl

Olgabowl Tele-Meister

Which is why I love the volume level of my fawn '62 AC15 Twin.....
    (Even though it's the same size and weight as an AC30....)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.