Crammed a new speaker in my homebrew Hammond AO-44

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jondanger, May 9, 2021.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a used Orange cabinet that had this AlNiCo Red Fang only because I wanted to put the speaker in my Carmen Ghia. I had heard so much hype about this speaker and I was excited to find one since they aren’t in production anymore. But then when I got it in there I hated it. It sounded way too dark, and I realized that I just loved the WGS Blackhawk that I already had in the Ghia.

I had built this little amp on a Hammond AO-44 chassis a while ago (build thread), but it has been giving me trouble so I wasn’t using it. Today I opened it up and found a bad ground. Viola! Fixed. So I thought why not try and cram this Red Fang in there and make a new baffle. It baaaarely fits.

Definitely a better match for this amp! It sounds big and round, and the darkness of the speaker tames the bright circuit, which doesn’t have a tone knob. As I’m sure most know, this is a very efficient speaker. But it doesn’t feel like it’s making the amp insanely loud. It’s about 8 watts, and you have to raise your voice quite a bit to talk over it at full volume, but I don’t think I would gig this with a full drum kit.

Just goes to show, no speaker is right for every amp, have to find the right match.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The cab looks great!
    :cool:
    Peace - Deeve

jondanger likes this.
  3. jondanger

Okay here’s a tossed off demo:

4. jondanger

Folks, I’m in love with this thing all over again. This is what was sitting in front of my throughout my workday today, and after I finished up I cranked it up for about 30 minutes, then went for about an hour long bike ride and now I’m about to wind it up again. The Red Fang is a great match for this weird circuit. Full and woody, a lot of push for a little 8ish watt amp.

[​IMG]

5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Glad you are enjoying it!

jondanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.