Craigslist VOX Pathfinder 15R...again

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Went back and found out it was indeed a 10" speaker from an 80s Fender amp.

studio1087 likes this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Here is my PF15 (non-reverb) with a Weber Silver Ten alnico fitted. I cut out the baffle so it moved the center of the speaker cutout lower, and the top of the speaker opening is flat so it stays below the gold strip that transitions form cloth to vinyl. I did a slight modification to the baffle cleat at the bottom of the cabinet. Lots of removing staples to lift the grille cloth and the staple it back down again. Obviously, the speaker dome has been removed.

It is less loud at identical volume setting than my other PF15 with the stock speaker. But a very nice sound. Less bright.

2015-03-19 05.40.38.jpg

studio1087 likes this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I dunno, if you like what you have already, it can be hard to compete with that. But FWIW that 8" Bulldog in the Pathfinder sure sounds a lot bigger than an 8" speaker IMO. I used to have the VT15 (8" speaker) and a Pathfinder, and I really liked the Pathfiner MUCH more. That's just me though.

amorica, studio1087, Martin R and 2 others like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Just me musing:

In my Pathfinder 15R I actually have a blue ( Celestion/ Vox branded ) 8" Bulldog speaker that I took out of an old ( dead) Vox Cambridge 15 I owned ( kept the speaker and cab, threw away the amp chassis!)
    Ibought my Pathfinder years ago, used on CL, and did not notice till I got home (I demoed amp before buying- sounded great) that the speaker inside was not the original Vox label speaker, but a 4 ohm, SLM ( Crate ?) 8"

Amp sounded fine, but I was worried about impedance issue, so I put in the 8 ohm, 8" Bulldog asap ( I also have a new 8"/8ohm Jensen Mod should the Bulldog ever blow)
    My buddy. owns a completely stock Pathfinder and both amps sound great next to each other- his amp/speaker at identical settings ( I DON'T use Boost) actually sounds a little cleaner, and my amp, a little more ' bass presence'

EXCEPT for pure clean applications where I just plug guitar into PF, I am actually using a Boss Blues Driver or MXR Classic Distortion ( modded to be brighter), always ON , and control everything from guitar Volume knob.- so I'm never as clean as w/o OD pedal on, but MAN, this doubles this little amp's volume and it's just a great bluesy /trashy giant- killer in a good way!
    i am amazed at how this little 8" speaker handles my abuse- really !
    Wonderful amp!

studio1087 likes this.
  5. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

The cab will fit a 12 if you remove the amp and either make a new baffle and grill or unstaple the stock grill cloth and enlarge the hole ( the speaker will be partially blocked by the solid emblem area). I bought a nonworking one off CL and figured if I couldn't get it to work, I could use the cab to build a speaker cab.

Controller likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Oh..OK....I thought you meant to keep chassis in the cabinet also. I, in fact, did just that, using an old PF15R cabinet for a speaker cab....to me, the little-bitty cabinet SOUNDED little-bitty....but it did look cool.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have abused mine for probably 8-10 years now. Gigs? Check. Mikes, line out to the board? Check. Bone stock, no boost, but (and I’m sure it has been mentioned here) I keep the trem speed all the way off and intensity all the way up (or vice versa??) and get a tad more tone I think. Permanently resides at a basement practice space but readily available if needed...

studio1087 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

When I got my Pathfinder I knew it was going to be ( or thought) a fun practice/.home amp, not really intending to gig with it.

But my band has a monthly gig ( since 2000!) in a medium size/cozy upstairs lounge above the main restaurant, AND I'm the only guitar in the band ( bass/drums/guitar/harmonica and we only mic vocals into PA) so shortly after getting the Pathfinder ( 5-6 years ago) I figured, why not try it ? That was that!

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  9. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I just purchased a Vox Pathfinder 15 (non-reverb) off craigslist $40

studio1087 likes this.
  10. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

The seller here dropped his asking price from $100 to $80 on a 15r, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I'm in the club!

The amp is in excellent condition, except the "ON" indicator doesn't light up. That should be an easy fix. The reverb is a bit weak; hardly noticeable until it's turned past 11 o'clock. Is that normal?

The Bulldog speaker does have a more expansive sound than most 8-inch speakers. I A/B'd it against my Fender Champion 20 (20 watts, 8-inch speaker, open back) -- an amp I genuinely like -- and I can only say the Fender was diminished in my opinion by the comparison. Running the Pathfinder into a 1x10 cabinet loaded with an Eminence Lil' Buddy sounds nice, but it doesn't sound any bigger -- not the way connecting the Champion to that speaker does, for example.

So far, everything I've tried sounds good through it. I get a big smile every time I plug into it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    studio1087 and Martin R like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats. You got a 15R with the black grill cloth, so it's the older, Korean made version. As I've already said in this thread, I have three, and the first was a pawn shop find for $40. It was an older version with the black grill cloth, made in Korea. I now have 3, the other two have the brown grill cloth and were made in Vietnam.

My Korean Black Vox Pathfinder 15R.jpeg

And yes, the reverb is a bit weak, as in barely noticeable until around 11 o'clock or so. The reason is that the single spring reverb pan in the chassis is pretty small.

[​IMG]

I've test driven the Champion 20 before, but not A/B'ing it to one of my Pathfinders. I did A/B it to the Mustang I and the Frontman 25R, and to me the Champion 20 was the winner. I didn't pull the trigger though, because I have the Pathfinders. My impression, based just on recall, was that the PF15R was better than that little Champion.

I've never run the signal of my Pathfinders out to an extension cab. Wouldn't mind trying that, but I don't have a cab. I have run the PF15R out to a PA via mic (once), but most often via the Line Out. The cab sim sounds great to me, and so the only way I've heard my Pathfinders through other speakers is through the 12" speakers of my PA (Peavey PR12s). I've never been tempted to swap speakers or mod the amp. It's just too good as is.

So I've played to larger audiences (in excess of 200 people) and/or larger venues using my Pathfinders, with great success. Normally, though, I play through them to small(er) audiences/venues. And I plug into one every day at home. Just an amazing, versatile little amp.

studio1087 and The Angle like this.
  12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I must live in an alternate reality. Never see any bargains like this on my CL. It's either junk or priced like new.

13. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

There's plenty of that here, too. I check CL every morning, quickly scrolling through what's been posted in the last 24 hours. The junk and the overpriced stuff stays up for weeks or months, but sensibly priced lots disappear fast.

The seller of the Pathfinder I just bought said he got a dozen calls on it. Everyone else either wanted him to drive 40 miles and deliver it, or they wanted him to hold onto it for four weeks until they could afford it, or they only wanted to buy the speaker for dimes on the dollar. I was the only person with $80 ready cash who was willing to drive 40 miles and pick it up. I got stuck in a horrible traffic jam on my way home -- standard stuff for this region. What should have been a 50-minute drive took 90 minutes instead. But I'm loving the amp, so it was worth it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    studio1087 and richey88 like this.
  14. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

$40 from Craigslist today. Vox Pathfinder 15 (v9158)

Attached Files:

studio1087, The Angle and Stubee like this.
  15. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I've got two of em,,, Love em to death.

I find that the sound at low volume is beautiful,, but as I turn them up, not so much..

The line-out works well. My other amp is a Mesa. (my 4th)

Off topic,, but can someone please explain how to post,, other than adding to an existing post as I am doing now? (ie: start a 'new' post/topic)

Thanks, RM

studio1087 likes this.
  16. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Under the "Forums" tab, open the specific forum you want to post in. There will be a big red button labeled "Post New Thread." It shows up only when you're on the menu page of a specific forum.

17. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Thanks!!
    Easy when you know how. LOL

regards, RM

18. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I’m out east but same experience with CL....at least you got the amp! Love mine. Bought spankin new at Smash full retail (119?) but 10 + years later...yup.

studio1087 likes this.
  19. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I opened the Vox Pathfinder 15 I just purchased to see why the tremolo was not working. I've ordered a new tremolo part. BUT the one thing I did do was the LED mod - removed the two LEDs. I also noticed about three to four JRC 4558 op amps. Wonder if this is what gives it the gain/drive? At any rate, I don't think it's giggable but a killer practice amp with great tone and mids. Kind of makes me want a Vox AC15 now. There are moments where i think the tone/mids from the Pathfinder is better than my DRRI.

amorica and studio1087 like this.
  20. TonyAsh

TonyAsh TDPRI Member

Bought one for $75 last week in Madison, WI. It rules. [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.