Craigslist VOX Pathfinder 15R...again

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Jul 18, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's what I'm seeing as "purple" - thanks. I laid the amp in my trunk and it was facing into the sun. It looked odd just then. I get it now - it's not an odd color.

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I also have three Pathfinders, two 15Rs and one 15. I bought the first 15R new after I read all the raves on TDPRI. Then when I heard they were going out of production i got a couple more from the GC used section. I have used them for many many gigs, as is, with line out and mic'd. Really the perfect amp for me.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I relate. I was reading about the 15R here on TDPRI before I saw my first one, about 9 years ago, in a pawn shop. I test drove it and knew immediately that I wanted it. I was mentally preparing to haggle over the price when it was offered to me for $40 out the door if I'd tune a guitar for him! I quickly tuned the guitar, plunked down two Andy Jacksons and beat a hasty retreat before he could change his mind. A year or so later I found one as an open box sale on eBay for $74, shipping included. It was in perfect condition. Then in January of 2013, I bought one for full price ($119) when I heard they were being discontinued. And I too have gigged with them more times than I can count. I've done two of them as a "stereo" rig at gigs, or with a mic in front of them, or utilizing the Line Out.

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No modeling in the DV Mark line. All real SS.

Bruxist, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Will definitely buy a 2nd Pathfinder if I see one FS on CL ( no need to actively seek one out, but it would be nice to have a backup/use 2 on gigs...) and I have the $$
    It's just an amazing ( and tasty) tool to have!

studio1087 likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I first learned about them years ago on a Vox discussion group. (which I think is now defunct) I bought one on Ebay, and liked it so much I bought two more. Loved the sound, but needed more "punch" on gigs, so I bought a cabinet custom made for a PF 15R chassis and a 12" speaker. Sounds incredible! My only complaint is, no one wants to buy a stock one for as much money as they went for six or seven years ago.....they want you to give them away. :(

studio1087 likes this.
  7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Man, I hate threads like this on TDPRI because they steer me toward more gear that I suddenly learn I want. And I see one of these is available on Craigslist in my area, at a level c-note.

I already have a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. It's my primary amp at the moment, almost always on the AC15 model. Reviewers seem to love the Pathfinder's speaker, but in most cases I prefer the groove of a 10-inch speaker over an 8-inch. (I often prefer 10-inch over 12-inch, too.)

Has anyone here tried both amps? Would the Pathfinder give me anything I don't already have in the Valvetronix?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.
  8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You guys have piqued my curiosity about these amps (like I need any more amps). I test drove a non-verb today, and I get it...cool little amp. One thing, the trem was very weak; is that common? You can hear it but it’s pretty subdued, you kinda had to listen for it...any thoughts?

studio1087 likes this.
  9. studio1087

I had an AV30VT many years ago (like when they were new) and I had a new Pathfinder 15R for a few months while I had the VT. I typically used the tweed or AC15 amps on the Valvetronics amp with Reverb and the option of Tremolo. I never used the heavy metal models. I liked the Pathfinder more because it just did what I was after. This is all just “me” so it means nothing in the bigger sense. I copped a bit of an attitude toward modeling amps early on because offering 15 amp tones and 15 effects from a $175 amp never made sense to me. It was like big quantity and no quality (I thought). I still regard them as kiddee amps. I frequently see the 100 watt Fender Mustangs on the Milwaukee Craigslist for $85 and people can’t sell them.

I think I’m becoming an old curmudgeon. I want traditional amp controls and not a Nintendo game controller. Good lord I sound 54 going on 90. o_O

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

If the tremolo depth is turned up and you can barely hear it then it's broken.

nojazzhere and dannyh like this.
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agreed.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

I had a Vox VT20+ before I learned about the PF15Rs....I was interested in having a bunch of different "voices" in one amp, but I found they were all "close, but not quite" like what they were supposed to be. And yes, I found it difficult to change settings quickly at a gig, so I "settled" on the Pathfinder....but I do use the 12" speaker for playing out.....and a Blues Junior III as well.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Squeeze a 12" speaker in it and you'll love it even more, trust me.

studio1087 likes this.
  14. studio1087

There’s a 1/4” output under the chassis. The speaker clips are connected to a short Cable with a 1/4” male jack that plugs into the bottom of the chassis. If you unplug the speaker cable you can use a speaker cable to connect any 8 ohm cable. I plug into a nice Carvin 2 x 12. It’s a lot of fun.

This is the little head that I made out of the lone chassis that I bought here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  15. K1121

K1121 TDPRI Member

Okay, I'm probably missing out on something, but is that easy to do?

16. nojazzhere

Squeeze a 12" speaker into what? A Pathfinder 15R? I squeezed a 10" into one, but no way a 12" will fit. I had a custom cab built for the PF chassis and a 12" speaker.

17. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

I've had Pathfinder 15 for almost 20 years and it's not going anywhere.

18. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I own two. I don't see them often. Even on Reverb.com

studio1087 likes this.
  19. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

No, it's not easy to convert a PF15 to an AC4 (all-tube). I removed the entire chassis and built a new amp inside. I did sell the chassis for cheap to members on another forum, though.

http://enginerdamps.blogspot.com/2009/01/vox-ac4-with-top-boost.html

I have all the parts for another AC4 build...

....Now I see a Pathfinder 10 on local classifieds for $60.... Perhaps it could become a AC4 Head and I could build one of those 4x8" cabinets (I have 4 8" speakers sitting around from some hammond organs ;))

20. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I can attest to the quality of the speaker (for an 8", anyway). I bought a weber alnico 8" blue pup to put in my Pathfinder -> AC4 conversion. It was a slight improvement which says a lot for the stock speaker!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.