Craigslist success story

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Jun 24, 2021.

1. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I've been lucky in that all of my craigslist dealings, except for scammers who I ignore, have been good. I sold my Mesa Boogie amp to a nice young man from Pittsburgh (I live in Charles Town, WV). He asked for a video of me playing the amp so he could see that it worked (very reasonable request). Then he asked for a specific tone (also reasonable). Then he asked if I would be willing to meet him an hour from my house (I was happy to oblige). He even offered me gas money, which I thanked him for but declined.

He showed up, handed me cash, with no attempt at renegotiating our deal, I helped him load the amp and extension speaker into his car and off he went.

There are plenty of nice, honest people out there. I must be a magnet for them because I haven't had a bad craigslist experience yet in 10 years of buying and selling. Of course, having said that, my next deal will be a bummer. :D

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

I just sold PRS SE Santana with same experience. List items with fair price, ignore all but serious buyers, meet nice musicians.

3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I haven't had a bad CL experience either. I just sold a guitar last week actually to a guy so cool that I wanted to go and get a beer with him. We texted about music and guitars for a day or two afterwards before things just naturally dropped off.

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I haven't had a bad CL/OfferUp/Facebook Marketplace experience either, unless you count lowball emails and people who never write back (and if you do count those, I think you may be overly sensitive). I think if you're cautious, reasonably knowledgeable and don't let your desire for the new shiny (or the $$$) cloud your judgment, you'll be fine.

My best score involved a Bigsby'd 1989 Korean Squier Tele. Cost me $150 and a 2.5 hours each way. It was a nice day, a nice drive, a nice guy, and a nice Bigsby with a free guitar attached ;)

Started off like this:

IMG-0334.JPG

Ended up as my Esquire:

IMG-0483.JPG

5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Great story @teletail. I have a very similar story but I was the buyer.

In Feb 2020, before all the madness, I decided to finally treat myself to a used Eric Johnson Strat. After a week of scouring CL and other sites I settled on a guitar that appeared to be in fantastic shape.

I have to admit - I was also attracted to the descriptions and explanations written by the seller. It was well written and honest. The seller really loved the guitar, offered one or two memories with it, and was really melancholy to see it go, but it had to go to help finance a dream purchase that he did not elaborate upon in the posting.

Communications with him were friendly and polite and even humorous. Turns out he wanted to buy his dream acoustic, a Collings.

For me, it was a huge purchase, and my first musical item over Craigslist. The 'play it safe' side of my brain said I should request a video, with audio, of the seller playing some blues. He was more than happy to oblige.

I watched the video a dozen times, appeasing to my 'play it safe' cautions.

The guitar arrived perfectly packaged, with much attention to good packing materials. The guitar was and still is amazing. Not only that, we texted each other about 3 times afterwards, he really wanted to know if I was happy with it and offered his own observations, such as that he found the guitar responded best with 11 gauge, and other technical matters.

I really enjoyed my interaction with him and the experience.

teletail likes this.
  6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have actually had good experiences on Reverb and Craigslist except the low ballers can be annoying. I received an offer for about 1/3 the value of a small amp and no shipping cost to New York. I live in Alabama. I politely declined. He told me his offer would stand if I changed my mind. I wanted to tell him I would sit it in the backyard, cover it with lighter fluid, and throw a match before accepting his offer but decided not to do that.
    Someone else bought it.

bebopbrain and teletail like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Never had a bad CL experience either. Typically, it requires a 180 mile round trip to our local city, so it can become a hassle, but even the deals that didn’t happen, I’ve met some interesting, talented musicians.

Nightclub Dwight and teletail like this.
  8. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Same here, nothing but positive experiences with the actual buyers.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just bought an amp from CL recently.
    I’ve never had any hassles, yet.
    I seem to buy something from CL every couple of months.
    Glad your deal went well!

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I've had a few great experiences as well, and I'm glad to hear how well your last one went @teletail!

I traded a useless SS Fender Frontman for my first tube amp, a Peavey Classic 20 that had a Jensen speaker and Mesa tubes, I "won" the trade but the guy was really cool and just needed a 2x12 cab for a stereo rig.

I bought a really nice Phillips home theater surround system on CL. A nice guy who had it all set up on his patio to demonstrate when I showed up, we made the agreed-to deal and off I went. I just needed the receiver, and still use it along with the woofer, nearly 10 years later.

I bought my first vintage amp on CL last summer, another really cool fellow with a bunch of nice stuff for sale: several CS strats, a Bandmaster with a 2x6 cab, IIRC a '64 Fender reverb unit, a couple Leslies, and I ultimately brought home the '69 Super. He was an old hippie hot yoga instructor haha, had those rigs for Dick Dale and SRV but just didn't need them anymore.

Most recently, as I was trying to sell my car rather than lose at trade-in. I was approached by a big auto broker in town who secured an offer for $3.5k over the trade-in I was offered by the dealership.

I'd say CL has been good to me over the years!

11. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

It's great to hear so many positive Craigslist experiences. 99.9% of the time when you see a Craigslist topic, you know it's about something bad.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  12. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

The only negative experience I have had is when I was offering an ancient but working large screen tv for free. People would promise to show up and then never arrive. "I'll be there in 20 minutes." Happened a couple times.
    As soon as I raised the price to $25, somebody actually showed up. When he arrived and wanted to bargain, I gave him a 100% discount.

Masmus and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have had one bad and a ton of good.

The bad:
    I had a mid 2000's Epiphone Les Paul that I never really played and a fitted hard side SKB case went with it. I looked around on the internet and they were going for about 4 bills so I listed it at $450. Had a couple of low ball offers but nothing serious. A week later I dropped it to $400 and a guy texts and said they were interested but would only go $350. I told them if they could meet that day and do $375 it was a deal. We agreed to meet and I cleaned up the guitar and loaded it up.
    It was winter so the people asked if we could do the deal in their van, they seemed nice enough so I brought the guitar and jumped in the back seat.
    Now before you think this is where things turned bad, they did not abduct me, or rob me. Their son was buying the guitar and he was in the back back seat. He was well pleased, Dad ran the serial number where the guitar was actually older than I had thought and then exclaimed it was a set net (it was) guitar. It was then that I thought I may have gotten the bad end of the deal. I was comparing my guitar to the newer Epi copies which do not have a set net. Oh well I thought, lets do the deal. I still have not ran the numbers for fear I let that go too cheap.

But with that money I bought a couple of other guitars including a Squier Sunburst Strat. It played well but I had two other strats and decided to let it go.
    I listed it at a fair price, $100 and had a guy give me a hard time about trying to sell it at that price, he would give me $50 for it. I told him I would hang onto it for that price. I ended up selling it the next day for $100 to a guy who was more than pleased with it. I told him about the guy the day before, he says, "$50 for this, F$#%#$ that guy!" which cracked me up.

14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have bought and sold many dozens of items on Craigslist over the years and have never had a bad experience. I try to just practice the same common sense as in all other aspects of life. Half the furniture in my house was purchased used from CL. And when we moved last year, half of what we had was sold that way. Yes, there are flakes and scammers. Just ignore those people.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  15. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Me too, exactly. (well, bad instead of been, lol)

teletail likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have an ad up for my 12-string. Crickets.

teletail likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My "good" experiences on CL have far outweighed the "bad"....although it's been quite some time since my last CL transaction. I'm no longer buying gear, and should really start selling.....I've got WAY more stuff than I need. I've met some really nice guys (and a couple gals) on CL, as buyers AND sellers.....but from perusing CL daily now, there seem to be way too many flakes and looneytunes than there used to be.
    Glad to hear you had a great experience....although I think you already know you just "jinxed" yourself.....sorry. ;)

BB and teletail like this.
  18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

oh yeah I've bought probably 50 items over the last 10 years or so- never really had a bad experience- seems to me like most folks are decent people

sax4blues and teletail like this.
  19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Count me in the group who has never had a bad CL experience. I've actually had several experiences that turned out even better than I expected.

One time, I responded to an ad for a vintage Traynor for a good price. When I got there the guy had a Tele plugged in that he was selling as well. I declined the Tele, saying I was just there for the amp. He clarified, the Tele comes with the amp at the price we had already agreed to. Score, free Telecaster.

Another time I responded to an ad for some old bolt on necks and guitar parts. They said they also had a guitar and amp. I walked out with the aforementioned necks and parts, as well as a refinished Gibson SG and a sweet Leslie 16, all for $200.

One that was not guitar related was for a vintage Pioneer stereo tuner and amp for a good price. When I got there I asked if it had been been serviced at all. The guy admitted that it hadn't, but that it had been in a closet for years. Instead of the $100 it was listed for he offered to drop the price to $20. I was prepared to take it at $100, but gladly accepted the discount. I never bothered to get it serviced since it works fine.

I have really never had a problem. Just today I was laughing at an ad that specified "No Scammers." Like a scammer will see that and say, "ok, this guy doesn't want to be scammed, I'll move on to the next one." Sometimes I think people bring it on themselves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.