1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Craigslist/Reverb description that says "don't buy"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Sep 8, 2020.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

There’s a squier listed for $1000 right now in hemet area on offerup.

Jlwctn likes this.
  2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

"All original! Mint condition!"

"Only the neck and pickups have been changed and the guitar refinished. The guitar is in excellent mint condition and all original!"

I always wonder, what - exactly - is the seller's definition of "original" in ads like these? And, yes, I've actually seen this kind of copy in guitar ads. I couldn't make it up. It's just too silly.

KATT likes this.
  3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Hemet? I'm guessing whoever is selling that is planning on selling it to someone they met at "church." After all, the more you pay, the more it's worth, right?

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had the opposite thing happen: bought a MIM strat on eBay that had a crack in the finish near the neck, but it said "crack near neck". It had zero bids so I waited until the last 30 seconds of the auction and bid $200 - and won it. I received the guitar and it was simply a finish crack. The guitar was excellent.

drlucky, Jlwctn and beyer160 like this.
  5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

The offers like that on Reverb as of late have made CL seem like it's full of totally professional, intelligent people. Generally people seem to go with slightly less than half of your asking price. I pretty much gave away my 100 watt plexi, but not before getting into a 20 message discussion with some guy telling me how much he was willing to spend, I'll give you this if you dont charge me freight, I only have this much, etc. Finally I just told him, "If thats all the money you have, you can't by a Marshall 100 watt plexi. They just dont sell for that. Anywhere. EVER." Amazing.

drlucky, kookaburra and drf64 like this.
  6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

"Once owned by ________" and the price is jacked-up way higher than a "ordainary" unit. So what.!

Steerforth likes this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Similarly, I got an LP Studio with Duncans and a B7 for a song at GC once since it appeared to have had a headstock repair. After 30 seconds of rubbing with a microfiber cloth and some naptha, the smudging on the back of the neck from hanging the guitar on a rubber coated guitar hanger was gone, and I had a cool axe for short money.

drlucky and tubegeek like this.
  8. stale facet

stale facet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

"I don't need to sell this, but..." - then why post it?

Listed price: $0. Click through to ad and then have a firm asking price. Thanks for wasting my time. Pass.

Bella likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

That ain't an offer- it's an insult!:mad::confused:o_O

drf64 likes this.
  10. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

If you are selling on Reverb, this is helpful. It is found under "Shop Policies".
    Screenshot_20200908-233551.png

11. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

That means the guy tried to fix it and it didn't work out, so he's selling it.

dr. love likes this.
  12. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Just a 25 cent resistor, that's why i'm knocking $200 off.

13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Not saying that every crack is a concern... but I have trouble envisioning how the finish would crack unless the underlying surface moves (crack, at least in a minor way).

A finish is stable unless the substrate moves. A finish could age and crack but that's a drying process and would not coincidentally happen in the most likely to crack area of a guitar - aside the neck pocket - at least not in hundreds of guitars and/or less-than-vintage guitars as we see.

I think it means there's been movement in the wood below in two different directions. There's at least a microscopic crack (separation) in the wood. The finish crack is the litmus test of that. I don't believe 1"+ thick, dry wood is going to "bend" and not crack.

If people think otherwise, add your thoughts. I'm open to suggestions of other causes for the cracks.

14. Bowen

Bowen TDPRI Member

My craigslist pet peeves are:

"My loss your gain"

Keyword spam

Title says Fender or Gibson but it's a Squier or Epiphone

Careless pictures of a dirty guitar on stained and torn carpet in what looks like a meth house

Terrible spelling, useless abbreviations (no one posts from a flip phone anymore).

Any if these things in an ad will make me click the back button even if it's for something I want.

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely hate that phrase. It just sounds dumb, but it also doesn't translate across different cultures well. Your guitar plays like a dairy product? Or do they mean to say it's so smooth it's like a hot knife going through butter, but the person saying it can't be bothered to form a coherent thought?

kookaburra likes this.
  16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

18. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I had an insult like that one time, I told him “you forgot a zero on the end of that”

drf64 likes this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

... and two photos, one front, one back, both from 8' away, low resolution, low light, with the guitars occupying about 15% of the photo space.

tubegeek and kookaburra like this.
  20. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

agree, too mush 'splainin is tryina cover sumpin' up

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.