Craigslist - positive story for a change....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by grolan1, Apr 17, 2018.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    OK, I sold a Taylor 114e last night - always worry about if they will show up, low ball me or whatever. This was a very positive experience for a change.
    • Guy showed up on time
    • Looked over the guitar and liked it
    • Paid the asking price and didn't try to low ball me
    And best of all.....
    • Bought the guitar to give to a less fortunate guy that could only afford very low end guitars

Even emailed me after getting home thanking me as said he would like to be a repeat buyer!

This was a great transaction with a fantastic honest person, to bad these aren't the norm and seem to be more the exception.

2. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

That's a great story!

grolan1 likes this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've had really good luck selling stuff on CL. I've met some really nice people. One guy me and my wife go watch his band play, he wanted to buy one of my 5E3 we talked for about a week on and off about the Amp finally I let him try for a week it wasn't the right Amp fo an 80'tys band. Now I'm helping him build a guitar. I have to say more than once selling something turns into a couple hour BS session sale or no sale.

DavidP and grolan1 like this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great story with the purpose behind the purchase. Always nice to hear those kinds of stories.

I've had pretty good luck on both buyer and seller ends with CL, but there are always going to be the flakers, the spammers, the easily offended, and the patently offensive. Lol

grolan1 likes this.
  5. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

As a frequent lowballer . . .

Triggered!

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Very cool. I've never had a problem when the people actually show up. It's the people that email me to ask if the guitar is still available and then never respond after I say yes. I mean, how can you change your mind that quickly, or if you didn't want the guitar, who cares if it's still available?

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have had good experiences on CL in general. Yes there are some that cancel, also some that ask way too many questions on line. I disappear from those now. I have actually sold stuff and shipped off CL before. BF amplifiers etc. With Paypal you are pretty good shape, surprised it doesnt happen more. I recently sold a big EV speaker. The guy paid me on paypal 3 weeks ago and just came up and got it a couple days ago! Now that was a trusting soul!

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also have had good luck with people buying and selling gear.

I did try to buy a car one time in the seedy part of town. Pulled up the place and could see the car and the pair of pit bulls chained around it. Buyer could not find the keys but would be there shortly. After thirty minutes a pair of dudes pulled up behind me and just sat there. After a few minutes they pulled off and then went down the street, turned around and rolled past.
    I decided that I really did not need a late model Jag that bad and told my wife we would find another.

Dude never contacted me back either.

Other than most have been like the guy I just sold a bass to. I never bonded with it, was an Epi Thunderbird Goth and he was playing in a cover band that he felt needed a Thunderbird Goth bass. Gave him a little discount as he met me close to my house and he was estactic and we closed the deal. Most of my CL deals are like that.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't sell things but I've had great luck buying on Craigslist...as soon as I began to:

Ignore any ad that contained: NO LOWBALLERS!

Ignore any ad that said: DON'T ASK IF ITEM IS STILL AVAILABLE!

Ignore any ad that said: I DON'T HAVE TO SELL!

These simple guidelines have almost eliminated the flakes...

jonnyfez and grolan1 like this.
  10. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

90% of the "is it still available" emails that you get are just from scammers fishing for valid email addresses. Any time I get an inquiry for something I have for sale, I delete it immediately if it's vague or isn't some sort of point-directed question.

Telescience likes this.
  11. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I've had good luck as well. I'm quick to weed out the flakes or anyone who irritates me in the slightest way. I've actually shipped a couple things out before getting payment, mostly due to own laziness and not wanting to drive to meet halfway.

Took a pretty good loss on a bass once. It was an 11 or 12 year old kid, single mom, and the kid wanted to play Iron Maiden. She was going to give me my asking price but I offered to take $ off. He had me at Maiden

12. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I've had some funny parking lot meet-ups as well. I was buying a guitar off a guy and figured out a place to meet. He gets out of his car and he's massive, completely covered in tattoos, from the top of his head down. He then says, "hold on, I have to call my wife to assure her that you're not an ax murderer."

Sold an amp to a couple of young men, they seemed so baked I was kinda wondering of they should be driving.

13. Dan Spiffy Neuman

I have definitely asked if something was still available, received a yes, and then never followed up. Sometimes I'm considering multiple purchases. It helps to know which ones are available, but doesnt mean I'm going to get all of them.

Sometimes your "yes" goes to spam.

14. Dan Spiffy Neuman

I've had some weird Craigslist meetups too. Sometimes the communication is really weird beforehand, and then normal when you get there.

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Awesome! My last CL trade last week was fantastic. I'd listed a pickup, to trade for another pickup. Gal hit me back with the exact model I wanted. Asked if I minded if she brought her because he didn't want her to go to a random meetup by herself.

They showed up on time, super nice, with the goods in hand, and everybody was happy.

I love happy.

william tele likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've had mostly good experiences with CL. except one weird, flippy acting dude who kept saying the speakers were blown in the amp I was selling. the speakers were fine. I should have borrowed my neighbor's big pit bull and sicced it on him.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  18. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I've (mostly) had nothing but positive experiences on CL.
    I was selling a Martin 000C-16RGTE. Nothing particularly special but a fairly decent guitar in its own right. More than fairly-priced.

I had a number of replies; most positive, a couple a-holes already trying to lowball me even though the pricing was within all normal reason.

Two very interested parties showed up. One, a younger guy trying to work his way into the bar scene. The other, a gentleman who played in a duo with his wife. He explained she had a crappy guitar and he wanted to surprise her for Christmas with a nice acoustic. He was very excited to try out my Martin and actually was a pretty good player. I got caught up in a moment and knocked $50 off the asking price. He said he was willing to pay full asking but appreciated the kind gesture.
    Yep, he got it. A couple weeks later I got an email from him, stating that his wife loved her new guitar. That's a win-win in my book. $50 frankly meant nothing to me in the grand scheme of life, and others enjoyment of things.

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

That's very cool. I had one like that recently. Selling an 8 string lap steel on the local CL in NJ. Got a call from this guy in Delaware. Busy renovating what is soon to be a music themed B&B. It'll be filled with instruments, some really odd ones too, for use by visitors. He even played one for me over the phone, one of the really odd ones. Fascinating dude. I was charmed by him and his ideas. It took a few weeks to get together, but I resolved to sell it to him if at all possible. Had 2 more local offers, told them there was a deal pending. I ended up driving 90 miles to meet him when he came up North a bit. In person, just as interesting. No bargaining. He paid asking price, threw in 30 bucks for gas. I've met some fine people on CL. This man is surely one of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.