Craigslist insanity

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
I think that is more a florida thing than a craigslist thing.
I have noticed a huge difference in the kinds of responses I get here in the East Tennessee area, compared to my previous experience in Western PA. Here, I have posted around eight items, and while some required me to drop prices, they have all sold - and all but one sold at my listing price without any "haggling." In Western PA I would typically receive a message from an "interested" party asking "how much I would take" for said item. While I am certainly not opposed to negotiation, I was always put off by someone trying to reduce the price before they even come and look.

On the "buying" side, I found one item being sold by someone who lived a fair distance away from my typical commute path - but who nevertheless suggested meeting me very close to my house - and refused to take extra cash for his trouble.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Imagine if you agreed to deliver it and when you got there they started to haggle price. The type of person to ask you to deliver it is the type of person that might do that.

I put one of those window air conditioners on CL several years ago for $50 when it was real hot out. It was on a Friday and some guy asked me if he could pick it up today and pay me Monday. You see he gets paid Monday but didn't want to be hot all weekend. I kid you not, lol.

Last edited:

standup

Tele-Meister
What’s your lowest price? That’s the question I get. Or just an offer for 1/3 of asking price, hoping I’m desperate.

i have a bunch of stuff on Washington DC Craigslist, hoping to raise cash for an upcoming purchase. I’m pricing everything about 20% lower than typical online pricing, but I’m only getting interest in the very cheapest stuff, like a Boss Metal Zone for $30.

i guess people are hoping for garage sale prices.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
While I am certainly not opposed to negotiation, I was always put off by someone trying to reduce the price before they even come and look.
I'll often make an offer before looking at the item, along the lines of "If you'd be willing to take $350, I'm seriously interested and would like to check it out." I'm not going to drive 30 minutes (nothing in the Seattle area is closer than 30 minutes away) to look at something if I already know the seller won't let it go for a price I'm willing to pay. If the seller agreed to my initial offer and the item is as advertised, then that's what I pay with no further hassles.

The ones I hate are the vultures who ask over the phone "would you take $350" and then show up with only $300, hoping you'll crack when they wave cash under your nose. They get told to take a hike. Or worse yet, someone who agrees to take $350 over the phone but when you get there, they give you the old "my wife says I can't accept less than $400." I hope you and your wife enjoy keeping it around.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
I'll often make an offer before looking at the item, along the lines of "If you'd be willing to take $350, I'm seriously interested and would like to check it out." I'm not going to drive 30 minutes (nothing in the Seattle area is closer than 30 minutes away) to look at something if I already know the seller won't let it go for a price I'm willing to pay. If the seller agreed to my initial offer and the item is as advertised, then that's what I pay with no further hassles.

The ones I hate are the vultures who ask over the phone "would you take $350" and then show up with only $300, hoping you'll crack when they wave cash under your nose. They get told to take a hike. Or worse yet, someone who agrees to take $350 over the phone but when you get there, they give you the old "my wife says I can't accept less than $400." I hope you and your wife enjoy keeping it around.
Agreed. What I really meant to point out was the respondents who simply ask "what's the lowest you'll take?" I mean, don't be so lazy! - if you want to offer something, that's fine - but I listed it with a price....why would I then suggest a lower price myself?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
So many people these days have developed a preferred lifestyle where they no longer leave the house for anything. I am delivering packages all the time of just basic household stuff that one would normally just purchase locally. Things like cat litter with a shipping cost almost as expensive as the product itself...yet they order it delivered all the time. Dog food, paper towels, coffee, tylenol, laundry soap, kitchen sponges, etc., it all gets delivered these days. Those people would ask for everything to be delivered.

It really has changed drastically in just 2 years. I had one customer on the route call to complain that they didn't receive their package of paper towels. I drove out to the house and found the package sitting right in front of their door where it was delivered 3 days ago. The label was faded by the sun it sat so long, yet opening the front door would have struck the box, so clearly nobody had left the house in 3 days at least. They never even opened the door to look, just assumed it was never delivered because they didn't hear the door bell.

That is society today....de-evolving into cave people.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

That is one of the most irritating things for me when it comes to selling something. People are so hung up over needing to feel like they got the better of you in the deal. It isn't the money, it is a domination thing. You never sell anything at the listed price, so you have inflate it by $50 or something so the buyer can feel like he won by getting you to lower your price even though he just paid the price you had in mind all along.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
There are always flakes. But there are also legitimate buyers. Ignore the flakes, or politely decline them. A legit buyer will show up eventually.

Over the years I have learned never to offer anything for free. (Not talking about music gear, just general items.) For some reason "free" really attracts the crazies. They always seem to want you to deliver it to them. You know, because "free" is apparently not good enough.

There have been times I have listed almost-worthless items at $10 or $20, and when someone shows up I just let them take it for nothing.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Imagine if you agreed to deliver it and when you got there they started to haggle price. The type of person to ask you to deliver it is the type of person that might do that.

I put one of those window air conditioners on CL several years ago for $50 when it was real hot out. It was on a Friday and some guy asked me if he could pick it up today and pay me Monday. You see he gets paid Monday but didn't want to be hot all weekend. I kid you not, lol.

we put central air in our house. we had a window unit for when it got really hot, but, with the addition, I put the nice window unit (which was moderately expensive, like 600.00) for sale for 50.00.

It was HOT the day of the garage sale and a little car pulled up and about 8 people piled out.... 'how much for this' '50 dollars' (pointing to the sign as I spoke) 'why are you selling?' I waved at him to follow, I opened my gate and pointed at the big AC unit. He smiled and said, 'so, it works?' I nodded. His wife came over, pushed him out of the way, handed me the 50.00 and smiling said, 'sorry, he's crazy like that' They were all tiny people, so I lifted the AC unit and put it in the back hatch of their beep beep car and away they went.

The people. they be crazy.

standup

Tele-Meister
Everyone wants a bargain, me included. Low ballers, no problem. It is so easy to not get p o'd, and just say sorry, too low, and move on. Getting your schnot in a knot is not worth the aggravation.
It doesn’t make angry, it makes me roll my eyes and type « I’ll pass, thanks »