Craigslist’s latest scam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by YALCaster, Jan 29, 2019.

1. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Best way to play the handoff is to do it in your local police precinct parking lot.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

CL is great... I would meet buyers at the local Safeway store which had a Starbucks ... Also a bank branch ... Surveillance cameras everywhere and an ATM machine... Good for cash deals and saved at least one deal where the buyer was a few bucks short...

3. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I do 99% of my deals at the local gas station

Milspec likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I inherited a old console stereo a few years ago. The thing was HUGE. Each side had a CTS 15" woofer, plus two 6x9s, and a cone tweeter. Huge. Is was solid state... worked, but didn't sound all that great.

The cabinet was in mint condition, but it weight a ton. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing weighed 400 pounds.

I put it on CL, and said that the buyer had to come pick it up. I only asked $100 for it, but I put also put "Open to interesting trades. Whatcha got?"

A guy contacted me and offered to trade a monster of a Crown power amp that retailed for well over $1000. So I agreed. I needed a power amp for my home theater subwoofer anyway.

The guy shows up in a truck. With a friend. And the Crown power amp, which appeared to be brand-spanking-new. No box. No manual. Just the brand new amp. I hooked it up and it worked great, so I agreed to the deal. The two guys loaded the console stereo into their truck, with no help from me. As they were getting ready to leave, I reminded him that the sale was "as-is" / "no returns". He said he didn't care. He said someone gave the power amp to him, and he had no use for it.

I always suspect that this amp is stolen, so I won't ever sell it. I don't have any money wrapped up in it, so if its ever proven to be stolen, I'll happily give it back to the owner.

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, after I started reading up on it they use stolen accounts, all of the transactions usually go through and then quite a while later it's all discovered and the bank comes after us. A lot of people must fall for it for them to keep doing it.

6. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

No, I'm saying that these scammers all have area codes which are out of state, and they're not looking for the stuff, they're looking to steal data/money digitally. The MLM jab was stupid, but whatever...it's not wrong either.

Whatizitman likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It does sound odd, but they would have to be the world's worst thief to get rid of something worth a grand for something worth $100. Even if stolen, that is a poor profit

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put my sofa on eBay, however my cat was in the photo. According to eBay they legally have the right to take the cat too. That was the last time I saw Mr. Fluffles.:(

9. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

.[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.