Craigslist’s latest scam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by YALCaster, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My Mom sells stuff on craigslist all the time. I keep warning her about all the scammers but I don't think she gets it. They have already tried the "Im working on an oil rig" scam. The stuff she sells is cheap $10 buck items, hardly worth the frustration imo. I can see it ending where I have to hunt some scammer down.

Scammers should realise that if they choose the wrong victim they could become victims themselves.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have sold everything from instruments to industrial equipment and several vehicles....never had a problem. The key is to use your cell number and ignore all texts and emails. If they are a real buyer, they will call. If they are scammer, they will text and email.

I have also completed the deals in my living room, I see no reason to be paranoid about people. Maybe it is generational, but I grew up during a time when you didn't even lock your doors. Each person that I sold instruments to have invited me out to watch their band perform along with free drinks. I see no downside to it....unless you lived in a really bad neighborhood to start with.

3. Chunkocaster

There have been reports of young guys getting car jacked or held at knifepoint for their iPhones etc after placing adds on craigslist. I wouldn't want people coming to my house. If you invite enough random craigslist purchasers around sooner or later one will be a thieving pos. There used to be consequences for being a pos back in the day. Now they are given free hugs and released to commit crimes again.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I avoid CL as much as I do GC. The TDPRI classifieds and Reverb work best for me.

5. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

If I wasn’t so worried about shipping, I’d do Reverb. I’ve never shipped ANYTHING. And as many horror stories as I see, I don’t wanna deal with drama. I want the cash, done deal, don’t contact me afterwards.

6. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I never give out a phone number on Craigslist, and I arrange to meet prospective buyers at my local police department, which is just a few blocks away. They’ll even send a car to open it up at night (we’re a small town) for transactions.

7. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

J.H.Kreist...for every 'horror' story about CL, there are probably several million normal transactions. Sheesh.

Milspec likes this.
  8. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Yeah I’ve sold plenty on Craigslist, I don’t have any horror stories.

9. Milspec

Can they carjack a living room? Every single day someone gets robbed at knifepoint for such things as an iPhone, I don't think CL changes those odds against you. Besides, if my dog doesn't like them, he will let them know.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

These scammers have everyone freaked out. I needed a wooden stool, so I can sit while I practice. I found one nearby on CL, I called the seller, a woman, and arranged to come pick it up. The poor thing was terrified. She opened the door just enough to grab my cash, then just enough to drop the stool on the porch and quickly slam the door.

Maybe she didn't like my Darth Vader suit.

TMMC likes this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's just so easy to identify a scammer on CL. I just try and make sure the other party knows I am not a scammer.
    I'd imagine there are whole gangs of miserable bastards trying this scam 200X a day to get like 3 email addresses - but once they have access to your email it won't be long before they have your bank info, unfortunately.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

On Kijiji I sold My 2 studer A810 mastering decks I had one person contact me several times but I insisted on a phone number for verification and would not accept pay pal , appearently the scam goes like this , the buyer pays with paypal and after you ship the item the buyer contacts Paypal to cancel the order mean while the item is in transit or they recieved the item and get their money retracted , and you end up with nothing. and they have your goods.

I insisted on voice contact with the seller then a bank certified cheque or money order and when I got it, I shipped the item . The whole time I stated in contact with the buyer by phone and email
    the deal went very smooth all things considering it was a multi thousand dollar transaction.

studer-a810-9846.jpg studer_a810_professional_tape_recorder.jpg

13. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm one of the lucky few who have never had a problem using Craigslist. But it definitely pays to keep your wits about you and be safe.

14. Milspec

I don't think it is just scammers or really CL at all, just the way people are wired these days. I am a letter carrier for the Post Office and when I deliver to the mailbox, many owners will wait until I get about a house away before opening the door to get it. There are times when I will deliberately step off the porch and carefully step back onto it and wait. They will open door, start to step out, see me, and quickly go back and close the door. Even just trying to get a signature on a certified letter or package is a nightmare. You know they are home as you can hear them, but once you notify them of the need for a signature they go into stealth mode until you give up and walk away.

Blue Bill and YALCaster like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

They can't car jack it but they can come back and clean it out when you are out if something takes their fancy. These people use Craigslist to find their victims. It's a gamble and people should be aware of the potential for something to go wrong. Yeah you could get mugged walking down the road but most people avoid areas where that's likely to happen or take precautions to lower the risk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  16. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've just had one scammer on CL. Was selling a leather couch (I was in SoCal) and a "sailor from NY" wanted to buy it and have it shipped from CA to NY. It was all a PayPal scam. Has anyone referred to themselves as a sailor since the 1940's?

17. Milspec

I don't disagree with you, but crime statistics will back me up that most criminals will case a home by way of working for a service company (or own one). That carpet cleaner, roofer, window installer, movers, cable guy, etc. are the ones that will leave a back door or window unlocked for a later entry. They know your schedule and they know where the valuables are located so they can get out in less than 5 minutes. We all let those people in our homes without being worried, no real difference with a CL buyer.

In fact, at the prison I worked at we had a guy who was conviceted of robbing 47 homes in one year posing as the local cable installer doing that very thing. He eventually got caught when the homeowner forgot something and came home to get it. The theif hid in the living room and told me that he planned on striking the owner with a lamp, but the owner must have suspected something and came down the stairs with a shotgun. Once the thief heard the owner chamber a shell, he called the police himself and begged them to get there before he got shot.

I suppose I would worry more if I had a wife and / or kids in the house, but as a single guy I just don't worry about it. Besides, by the time he tried to drag my 120 lb Fender Twin down 2 flights of stairs I think he would just give up and leave on his own.

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Yeah,
    Yeah, I pretty much get scam responses to a lot of my Craigslist ads, especially when I'm selling guitars, or amps, pedals....etc. They must be using bots to find them, because I do a lot of my posting at like at 3-4 a.m. and depending on the price I'm asking, the responses come by text, usually within 5 minutes, or less after it goes up. I just send back 1 response, and tell the scammer it is a CASH only, face to face local sale.

I get a few responses from unfamiliar area codes, so I give em the same old, face to face local sales only pitch, and a couple of times they ended up being a face to face sale, so I don't necessarily rule out a possible sale because I don't recognize the area code of the responder. Nowadays, I just expect someone try and scam me, as a regular part of selling on CL. As long as I say face to face only, I've never been scammed, although a lot have tried, I'd rather not sell at all, if I have to pack and ship it! So no worry for me...it's expected! LOL

19. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

you are only paranoid if you live to tell the story! To each his/her own. I live in a nice area but you have no idea where the person you are dealing with is from. Have met some really nice people... but have been freeked out by a few too. I guess I watch too many crime shows!

20. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Their other biggest tipoff is, they don't even try to negotiate, and are willing to spend twice as much or more for the item. Usually those type of scammers text me that they are in Afghanistan, Iraq, or anywhere overseas in the military. The e-mail correspondence I got used all legitimate looking PayPal logo's on the letterheads. But If they want you to pay any kind of money, or buy a money order, or whatever, it's a scam! I led them along, for as long as possible, while letting PayPal in on it, before I finally let them know the cops were on the way(they of course weren't, but if it throws even a little scare into them, that makes me happy!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.