1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cracks around holes on freshly polished lacquer - Cause/fix?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by chillman, Jul 26, 2020.

1. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE:

[​IMG]

I filled the cracks by brushing in some new lacquer pretty heavily, since it will shrink down some as it evaporates. I took Silverface's advice and used blush spray to promote it all melting back together and it worked well. I've never used it before but I'm glad I had some.

As you can see, I didn't get a perfect color match. I didn't have any of the original paint left (it was partially opaque, like a blonde finish, not just clear amber) but I'm not worried about that on this build. Plus the bushings will hide most of it.

Next is sanding it all flat again and probably applying a couple more thin flow coats. Even if I can end up with a C+ job on this I'll be happy. Will post more when I get the job done. Might start a separate thread on the guitar itself. It's my own design.

Boreas and Wally like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Much better! Just try not to break through the lacquer to the wood if you are wet sanding or you may back at square one. Enjoy the process and good luck!!

3. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Thankfully it was already sanded totally flat except for the repaired areas so I don't need to do much. The flow coats should go on almost mirror-like straight from the gun because of that as well. Fingers crossed. Will update here.

Boreas and tubegeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.