Cracks along the skunk stripe?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moodus2006, Feb 4, 2010.

1. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

I have a Strat (same set up on a tele so..) but there is a very fine crack along where the walnut seam meets the maple. It extends a pretty good length of the neck and appears on both sides. I brought it to an authorized Fender repair center and was told "it is the nature of the beast". Anyone ever had this issue where the walnut/maple seam is every so slightly split?

2. Talmir

Talmir Tele-Holic

Cracks in the neck are not "the nature of the beast" :p

If I´d have to guess I´d its damage due to the trussrod being incorrectly set up. (too much tension or somesuch).

3. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

This can be taken care of by a careful application of super glue along the separation line and some VERY fine sanding/buffing. Works like a charm. I'm sure there are others out here that have done this operation. They might want to chime in with tips. My brother did it on his P bass and it looks and feels perfect now.

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Finish cracks or all the way down into the wood?

5. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

I tried to take a picture of it but the flash washes it all out.. it is beyond the finish .. but VERY fine.. just barely produces an imperfection you can feel. But.. you can feel it!

6. Slim Shady

Slim Shady TDPRI Member

hey everyone, i'm thinking about buying this guitar, but the owner pointed out a crack on the back of the neck, saying that he thinks that "when they routed the groove for the adjusting rod in the neck is that they either routed it too deep or sanded the neck too close to the groove and there is a spot about 1/2 an inch long where, even though it hasn't completely broken, the wood has sort of caved in just a bit." this is a gretsch from about 1980 if that helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is this something that will get worse? is it nothing to worry about? or is this a guitar i should stay from?

thanks for any help!

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

So, switch the flash off???

Just move the guitar to a naturally well lit spot, like in front of a window.

If the crack goes al the way through the wood it could be a structural issue. If it's just in the finish, or at the very surface, it's no big deal.

8. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Is it a USA Fender? If so maybe the neck is back bowed and the owner tried to tighten the truss rod(this can be done on the Bi Flex rods) to fix this and it put stress on the skunk stripe.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Slim, that looks more like a "ding" than a crack.... where it fell against something and dented the wood... Nada problem..

Ron Kirn

10. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

I was posting this at 10:00 at night . we had a great full moon but not enough natural light by a window! I can't tell how far it goes down but is more than just a crack in the poly.

11. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Ah, I see :) Often you'll get a better shot with just a table lamp close by.

I'm not sure what you can really do about it, but as long as there are no buzzes coming from the neck, I'd watch it to make sure it doesn't get any worse, but just basically leave it alone. Maybe, if it does open up more you could get some thin CA glue in there with a syringe?

12. FenderFan4Ever

FenderFan4Ever TDPRI Member

Do you mean like this? I just got a strat delivered today via Fed Ex, and the neck was like this. The sender said he checked everything out before shipping it. Shipping damage, maybe? Maybe from extreme temperature changes? It was insured, and if they would pay for a good luthier to repair and refinish it, I would be satisfied. Maybe.

[​IMG]

13. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

That happened to one of my guitars as wel after it fell. A long finish crack along both sides of the skunk stripe exactly where the maple meets the walnut. I could not discover any other damage to the neck. Perhaps there is on the inside? Neck seems fine though. It happened after the guitar had taken a blow, not by exposure to temperature shocks.

14. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

This happened to my 95 US Strat after it was thrown into the hall after a rehearsal :eek: (it was in a gig bag), (yes I was in a REALLY bad mood :mad:). I was told that it was 'de-lamination', the lacquer separating from the wood, NOT the wood cracking. Anyway, me being me, I decided to remove (sand) the lacquer off of the back of the neck for the 'raw wood' experience. I can confirm that when the lacquer was removed, the wood underneath was fine. :)

15. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

Thats it! Thats what mine looks like. I polished it down with SUPER fine (600 grit?) sandpaper and wiped the neck with Maguiers polish stuff. Feels smooth. I did not get to the bare wood. Seems like I just knocked down some poly finish.

16. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

I would suspect seasonal movement of the wood before I'd say the trussrod was too tight. You'd strip the threads on the rod or the nut long before you could push the skunk stripe out.

My guess is that the skunk stripe was not properly fitted/glued and that the dry weather is causing the wood to move and the finish is now shrinking into the joint. In a sense it is the "nature of the beast", but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed. I don't know if Fender would consider this a defect, or blame it on the weather.

A licensed Fender repair shop will generally not be able to do more than an average setup or string change - not woodworking or finish repair. If you want a professional job go to an experienced luthier or furniture restorer. Or carefully do it yourself with a little CA glue and light sanding/polishing.

If it were mine I'd probably just live with it.

17. dougk

dougk Tele-Holic

68' is basically spot on.

Any time you sandwhich two different woods together like that, they have the potential to expand or contract at different rates. Depending on how tight the original walnut piece was fitted, how dry it was ect ect.

18. dankomal

dankomal Tele-Meister

mines the same,
    is the fix super glue and sanding???
    whats the general consensus?
    cheers,
    mal.

19. FenderFan4Ever

FenderFan4Ever TDPRI Member

I called an experienced luthier today (who is also a certified Fender service center). He said if he can repair it with just a "touch-up" on the finish, probably about $75, if he has to do a respray on the neck, about $150 or so. If it was a Squier or MIM, I'd probably do the super glue/ sanding route. But it's a mint condition American Deluxe QMT with an ebony fretboard (retail was $2400), so I'll let the pro do it, and try to get FexEx to pay the bill (it was insured).

20. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

My Jazz Bass looks just like this, and has for quite a while. I wouldn't worry about it as a structural issue; more of an annoying thing that you think about constantly ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.