Crackly hissing noise when I turn volume right down

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by goddardo, Aug 22, 2019.

1. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

So I was using my Mim Roadhouse Strat with texas special pickups last night. I just recently got it so it was my first rehearsal with it... I use it through my pedal board powered by a volto rechargeable lithium battery... Using the fulltone OCD as my overdrive. A mostly on pedal, going into a prs sweet 16 combo, I noticed that when I turned my vol right off between songs, I'd get a fairly loud crackly / hissing. When I turned volume back up just a fraction it stopped. Just wondering if anyone can throw any light on this problem.... I haven't noticed it on my other guitar which is an old tokai Strat with stacked Bill Lawrence L220 pickups... Maybe a dodgy pot perhaps... Cheers guys

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Try using some deoxit on the pot and see if that takes care of it.

3. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestions... I did that when I bought it... Will give it another blast

4. corliss1

If it goes away temporarily but then comes back, just replace the pot.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have this right now too. I've known the pots need to be cleaned but have been procrastinating it. Mine it is most noticeable when you hit the "stop" at the end of the range of the pot.

Drive is just amplifying it more just like everything else.

Does Deoxit harm anything in the finish of your typical MIM guitar with the thick poly finish? Just trying to get an idea of whether I should be taking the control plate off the guitar to try and be extra careful to avoid deoxit getting anywhere it shouldn't. I'm not intimidated about taking the guitar apart I just don't want to do unnecessary work.

6. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

Will do. Thanks mate.

7. corliss1

To really get the spray in there you've gotta get underneath it, so I'd just take it apart @beninma

8. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

It doesn't harm poly... Just be careful with nitro

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is it best sprayed into the shell of the pot through the back or something? Or can I just take the plate off, take the knobs off, and then spray it into the shaft?

10. corliss1

There is a special tool that gets used on PA gear and hollowbodies where it's very hard to access the back of the pots. It forces lube down into the shaft.

For this though, just spraying through the opening in the back of the pot though is the best plan.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

By the time you get the pickguard off you've put in the work, Just replace the pot with a genuine cts. Music stores that carry Fender have Fender packaged CTS pots.

corliss1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.