1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Crackling with Chorus Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jiriho, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Jiriho

Jiriho TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this website, so hopefully I'm posting in the right place!

Today I received a new guitar pedal - TC Electronic 3rd Dimension chorus. The pedal sounds great and I'm really enjoying it.

However, I noticed that when I dig into notes, I can hear a (slight but audible) crackling sound coming from the amplifier, which seems to become more apparent the harder I dig into my strings. When I turn off the pedal, the crackling disappeares, regardless of how hard I dig into the strings on my guitar. Also, I noticed that this crackling only occurs when I am switched to my neck pickup (wide range humbucker), but doesn't occur when I am either on my bridge pickup (single coil), or in the middle position.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this pedal? Is this a common problem with chorus pedals? Not sure why this happens when only on my neck pickup - could the signal be too hot for the pedal? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Should I return the pedal?

I am using a fender 72 custom telecaster, running through a VOX AC4C1-12 amp. I am also using a 1 Spot 9V DV power adapter. The pedal itself is analogue and takes 9V.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm wondering if one of the jacks in the pedal needs a resolder? I'd take it back. It's not a big problem but you'll want to change it. They might fix it, they'll most likely replace it.

3. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Try another power adapter or a battery (if possible) before sending it back.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Crackling with hotter signals (humbucker, booster etc) and no crackling with lower input signals is pretty much always caused by lack of headroom. The output signal of your neck humbucker is too strong/high for a component (op amp or transistor) in the pedal.
    If it's a crispy, frying bacon kinda crackling, it's most likely coming from hitting the rails of an op amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.