Crackling sound on my hot rod deville

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Nate Senft, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Nate Senft

Nate Senft TDPRI Member

I got a hot rod deville used a few months ago. I changed out the tubes when I got it. When I play loudly or when I have a lot of reverb it makes this crackling sound. It happens other times too but mostly when strumming hard. I saw another thread from 2014 but it didn’t really have a definitive answer. I have a video link attached though. One person said that it was a bad resistor. Another said the that it was a bad solder joint. I was hoping that there could be a more definitive answer. If not I was wondering who repairs guitar amps. https://imgur.com/gallery/JCfEA8u video of sound

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Check that C18 is not a ceramic type. They are microphonic in some of these models.

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

If it is still under warranty, it is unlikely to be a dry joint, in my experience.
    If the volume and tone controls make no difference, it could be the anode load resistors in the phase splitter.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the tip. Indeed volume and tone make no difference in the crackle.
    Since it’s a handwired version, it should not be a hard repair, but I’ve preferred to send it since I know nothing about amp circuits. I should have it back within a month or so.

Lowerleftcoast and Jon Snell like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.