Crackling noise

Clicre

TDPRI Member
My 64 vintage tele pickups have a crackling noise. I have a Bill Lawrence 5 way wiring set up and can’t isolate the issue. I have the neck cover wired directly to ground. Any help appreciated.

Clicre

TDPRI Member
I’ve checked all the grounds. I’ll shield the scratch guard and see if that works. Thanks

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
My 64 vintage tele pickups have a crackling noise. I have a Bill Lawrence 5 way wiring set up and can’t isolate the issue. I have the neck cover wired directly to ground. Any help appreciated.
Why do you say the pickups, specifically, have the noise. Does the noise happen when you touch the pickups?

In my experience "crackling" is static electricity which comes from the pickguard or body of the guitar or from your clothing or something. Not from within the pickups.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If it is static from the pickguard it's common on Teles especially and can be solved. Can you tell? Does it build up as you play? Light crackling related to your hand movement.
If so, you need to shield the pickguard and get the shield to the electronics ground point.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Try wiping the pickguard with a drier sheet. It’s supposed to remove static. I have never tried it, just heard about it, so…

It seems very unlikely to hurt even if it doesn’t work, and should remove any stale smoke and piss smells! 😜