Crackling Noise in Power Up and Down

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Kcz5o, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Kcz5o

Kcz5o TDPRI Member

I thought this might be a good place for a quick amp question. Thanks in advance for any replies. I recently purchased a SANO 500 amplifier. When I bought the amp it didn't power up and had a blown fuse (which was way too big). I replaced the filtering capacitors in the power section and any electrolytics. It powers up now and is fairly quiet except for some noise in the reverb circuit. The problem I am having is that when I turn the amp on there is a loud crackling sound until it powers up. It does the same thing when I turn it off. I replaced a cap can on my Princeton reverb and that does the same thing. Is it possible that it is a poor ground on the cap can? The cap cans are hard to solder. Any ideas? Again thank in advance.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

3. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

I bought something like that too - didnt realize it is 220v input!!
    I'm short less than a six-pack of beer money for the mistake - live and learn.

But yeah, you need a hot iron for the chassis / back of pots in guitars, etc.
    Gotta put a lot of heat in quickly and get out.

4. Kcz5o

Kcz5o TDPRI Member

The noise only lasts for a second or two. I wondered if someone knew exactly what caused that type of symptom. I used a 250 Weller gun and it melted the solder to the chassis but I always wonder if it is a good ground. I suppose if it is working and there is continuity the ground must be ok. When I've changed filter capacitors I've always powered them up with full power rather than using a Variac as I don't have one. I wonder if that would make a difference? Thanks for the replies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.