Crackle/buzz in the low register in my Fender Frontman 25

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Deaf Eddie, May 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

It's an oldie but a goodie, and I love this amp.

Lately, it's developed a crackle when I play the low E string. It's not the reverb, it's not the
    speaker - I've swapped parts and tested for that. The crackle stays with the amp. Everything else seems OK.

I'm no kind of a techie as far as amps go, but I did replace the (dead) input jack in this one, years ago. I'm a-wishing and hoping this is a common issue with a simple fix... Any ideas?

2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

It's likely a bad solder joint. The lower notes cause more vibration in the cab and chassis which causes the intermittent connection. Very easy to fix but finding it can be the hard part. Some gentle prodding of all components and wiring with a wooden chopstick may help to find the culprit. You will need to have the amp powered up and plugged into the speaker when troubleshooting so only do so of you know how to safely work inside a live chassis. Be sure to check the speaker connections also as they may have become loose over time.

Tim S likes this.
  3. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

Is it an electrical crackle or a mechanical rattle?

Mine had a rattle around the speaker baffle. I stuffed some foam in the gaps and cured it.

Crobbins likes this.
  4. Deaf Eddie

Got to be electric. Tried a different speaker and it was still there.

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Did you try a speaker outside of the amp's cab?

Tim S likes this.
  6. Deaf Eddie

Yes, as I said in the original post and my last reply. It's not the speaker or the baffle.

7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

As trxx pointed out, you need to try a speaker that is physically outside of the combo cabinet to rule out vibrations affecting a cold solder joint (as mentioned by dan40)

Is that what you did? It wasn’t explicated stated.

8. Deaf Eddie

That's what I did... It's not a vibration issue. Gotta be a bad cap or some such.

9. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

my 2 cents...
    as others have said....probably a bad solder joint. Probably one of the pads for the front controls...
    first thing to check:
    1) can you produce the noise any other way (try wiggling ALL pot controls, not just turning them, but give them a little shake).
    2) turn all controls to zero / then up to 10 (each one) to see if you can narrow down where the problem is.... (ie : does the noise have reverb on it ?) does it go away when the gain channel is pushed in...etc...
    3) The Frontman circuit is pretty simple....but.....you really want to try and narrow down where / what /how the problem occurs.

Attached Files:

10. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

It's probably one of the pots that needs a simple cleaning with electronics spray.
    Other than that, it could be any connection in your chain that is less than perfect.

Yes, possibly it can be one of the caps, but in this amp, good luck if it's not visually obvious.
    I can recommend a really cheap ESR meter which will make things a little easier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF1UF2M/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.