Cracked top advice needed: Larrivee LV03

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
This is all new territory for me on many fronts.. 1. I don't play acoustic, but now being a dedicated home/ hobbyist I figured an acoustic should be in my rig. 2. Buying a guitar that I have not played nor conducted much research on. 3. Buying a guitar that requires repair before I can even hear it.

When I visited with the previous owner, she informed me (it was her Fathers guitar) that she purchased a sound hole humidifier. I beleive this is what caused the bridge to release because she kept tension on the strings, but I cant say for certain, all I can say is the guitar definelty shows tell tail signs of drying out rather than any sort of direct player damaged. Interestingly the crack is ever so slightly starting to lift out, I assume this is due to her re-humidification attempt.

Anyhoo, I have an appointment with the luthier tomorrow.. I took before pictures and will provide up dates and post progress pictures. Fingers crossed this will be a positive learning experience rather than a "I never should have bothered with this" type of experience :)

Thank you all for your help.. I honestly would have attempted the crack fix on my own (not the bridge), but you all made me realize a professional should really be bringing this thing back to its former glory.
For what it is worth, I did put together a little thread on this forum about what to look for when buying a used acoustic guitar.

The two things I look at first are the neck angle and the hydration condition. Those can be make or break issues as you are learning. Anything can be repaired, some things just cost more than they might be worth.

Its also a bit ironic that Jean Larrivee has one of the best articles on humidity and its effects on his web page. I used to point people there regardless of what kind of guitar they play.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
For what it is worth, I did put together a little thread on this forum about what to look for when buying a used acoustic guitar.

The two things I look at first are the neck angle and the hydration condition. Those can be make or break issues as you are learning. Anything can be repaired, some things just cost more than they might be worth.

Its also a bit ironic that Jean Larrivee has one of the best articles on humidity and its effects on his web page. I used to point people there regardless of what kind of guitar they play.

Thank you, the previous owners daughter said and I quote: “My father had a midlife crisis, and being as though he had money, he decided to spend it to learn the acoustic guitar” She later went on to say, he tried it, gave up and it sat in the cased for years, until she gave it to her.. She didn’t pay any mind as she plays violin and had no interest… so it sat in neglect unfortunately

Im hoping to bring it back to life and take care of it.. Bit we will see where the rabbit hole goes

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Guitar was dropped off at the Luthier.. Really cool experience and great conversation while at the shop. SHop is called Old Town Luthier in Baltimore Maryland.

The process will take awhile as many of you said, re-humidification will need to happen slowly overtime (about a month or more)
Then re inspection, pre inspection exposed to him the following: Cracked top with minimal curling, 2 braces slightly coming lose, saddle coming off, 17 fret area the ebony is very dry, frets are sprouting a bit.
The guitar will be fully repaired to include frets, intonation, neck adjustment, nut adjustment etc..

I cant wait to have this in my hands..

I will post updates here as they come

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Sounds like you've found the right person and have the right plan. Report back in a month

BTW: I thank you for your extensive write ups: I quoted/ regurgitated some of the stuff you wrote to the Luthier and he was impressed, to which I diverted credit back to you. He was happy to know that I had a basic understanding of what was involved and not to expect anything until certain things fall into place during the process.

So thank you again! I feel at the end of this I will have a special bond with this instrument to which I breathed new life into (by others hands), and to have with me for a very long time.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Congrats on the new guitar.

Ted Woodford in Canada has fixed a Larivee or 2 on his channel. If you don't watch it, you should.

And just for educations sake, here he is gluing up a cracked soundboard.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Congrats on the new guitar.

Ted Woodford in Canada has fixed a Larivee or 2 on his channel. If you don't watch it, you should.

And just for educations sake, here he is gluing up a cracked soundboard.

Very cool, a preview of the surgery to come on mine :)

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I do wish this thread was 6 months old :/ I had a cheaper Washburn Cumberland that did similar but wouldn't flatten, a sad day as I had refretted it a few years back but admitted defeat in the end.

1653391899987.png

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I do wish this thread was 6 months old :/ I had a cheaper Washburn Cumberland that did similar but wouldn't flatten, a sad day as I had refretted it a few years back but admitted defeat in the end.

View attachment 986545
I thought obscenity was banned in this forum?

Never destroy even an unplayable guitar! Although that likely felt good, there are many of us ijuts out here that would love to have a junk guitar to practice some sort of surgery on. Oh well...

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I thought obscenity was banned in this forum?

Never destroy even an unplayable guitar! Although that likely felt good, there are many of us ijuts out here that would love to have a junk guitar to practice some sort of surgery on. Oh well...
An Ebay buy in my earlier learning days, from a photo it really looked like the 'one' :)

All that was wrong with it was 5 worn frets and a strap button through the laminate side and an action I could limbo dance under, so it became my first full refret, my first bridge & nut fitting and cosmetic bodge to hide button hole, and I had nearly 10 years of fun with it afterwards but a lack of care (not put in the case) saw the sound board bow and split past the point of economic repair...
1653401882196.jpeg