1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cracked.com on the jazz master

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Aug 13, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

smartsoul72, Veitchy and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Still a beautiful top of the line model!
    And still affordable compared to its stablemates of the same vintage!

On a side note, does anyone remember Cracked magazine?

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I remember cracked. At least I think I do. Wasn't it supposed to be a mad magazine competitor? Is this website derived from that?

dlew919 and Fretting out like this.
  4. dlew919

yes and yes.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I didn’t realize the website was related till I looked it up

I always preferred CRACKED over MAD

I haven’t seen a copy in forever but as I recall it was always a little edgier and didn’t require as much thought

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Nels Cline plays one. He counts as Jazz, right? :twisted:

Off topic, but how long have Cracked been dabbling in lowercase-J journalism rather than humor? Admittedly I haven't read it since the likes of Dan O'Brian and Michael Swaim were writing there, and considering Mad's woes I can understand why an unfortunate format change may have been inevitable.

dlew919 likes this.
  7. dlew919

there was a clear out of those writers. The newer presumably cheaper writers don’t engage as much but they’re still good.

I’m not sure what the clear out was. But when jack O’Brien (who wrote as David Wong) left as editor and chief its energy changed.

Veitchy likes this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I only remember Cracked in the 60s as supremely unfunny. Never bought one, never looked at one more than the 20 seconds it took to realize how lame it was. You mean, some of you guys actually liked it? That kind of changes my whole impression of this forum...{{{shudder}}}

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Leo thought he could lure jazz cats away from Gibson's 175 and 335 with the Jazzmaster. It didn't pan out, and by the early 1970s you couldn't give away a Jazzmaster. Nobody wanted them.

That is the priimary reason why the Jazzmaster became a favored weapon for punk rock and new wave: they were cheap 'n' cheerful. Perfect for the low-budget vibe of the genre.

10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've always thought of it as Leo wanting to make a jazz guitar, but a Fender jazz guitar. "Jazz guitar" then (and perhaps still now) meant Gibson jazz boxes, and other guitars that were essentially doing the same thing. Leo's intention was to expand the definition of a jazz guitar, rather than simply join in. Hence the looks, the trem and the capacity for serious treble (all very Fender), on top of the archtop-like string path, the comfort in playing while sitting and the capacity for seriously big and warm tones (typical of jazz guitars).

It's kind of the inverse of a Les Paul, which can be seen as a typically Gibson jazz guitar dipping its toe into solid-body-ness. Only rock n' roll and the like took to the LP much more than jazz did the Jazzmaster.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect that the jazz players looked at the complexity of the Jazzmaster and said pass. If Leo had used the offset shape and a Gibson style 4-knob layout (which is largely what the JM does anyway) then the jazz players may have picked it up. Just moving the two wheel-pots down below the bridge may have been enough for those 'cool cats' to get it and be comfortable with the setup. Put the 3-way toggle up at the top and slider switch down at the bottom horn and it's 'the same thing' but with a couple extras.

Ergonomically, the JM is easy to play in a sitting down orchestra situation because the wide flat body and balance allows you to easily flip the song sheets on the music stand.

How did the price in the 60s compare to buying a Jazzmaster vs 335? Were jazz players paid well back then?
    The Jazzmaster likely would have been a big seller if priced like a Tele/Strat instead of the premium top of the line range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.