Crack! My Tele Broke - Kinda

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

So, I was putting my 50s styled lacquer finished MIJ Tele away last night and suddenly noticed a bit of checking on the back - mostly long lines spaced several inches apart. And, one single check line on the front.

So, I was quite surprised, as nothing much goes on temp / use wise in my study that might cause this. I did have the sliding doors to the lawn open for 10 mins or so after lunch though, cos I got too hot after my Thai curry 🔥. I guess that could have been the culprit. :rolleyes:.

Normally I wouldn’t care, or would even be a bit pleased, but I’m kinda annoyed actually, as they are running across the body at right angles to the neck’s orientation, not along the body parallel and I’m finding them not so aesthetically pleasing, especially that single line in the front. Mind you, they’re really hard to see.

Oh well.

I guess I’ll add photos, if I can actually manage to take any that show them.

Pax/
Dean

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hi.

So, I was putting my 50s styled lacquer finished MIJ Tele away last night and suddenly noticed a bit of checking on the back - mostly long lines spaced several inches apart. And, one single check line on the front.

So, I was quite surprised, as nothing much goes on temp / use wise in my study that might cause this. I did have the sliding doors to the lawn open for 10 mins or so after lunch though, cos I got too hot after my Thai curry 🔥. I guess that could have been the culprit. :rolleyes:.

Normally I wouldn’t care, or would even be a bit pleased, but I’m kinda annoyed actually, as they are running across the body at right angles to the neck’s orientation, not along the body parallel and I’m finding them not so aesthetically pleasing, especially that single line in the front. Mind you, they’re really hard to see.

Oh well.

I guess I’ll add photos, if I can actually manage to take any that show them.

Pax/
Dean
Curry sounds pretty good. Tell me more.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

That's unfortunate.

Yeah, I'm not too worried really (see below), other than for the aesthetic particulars of this specific case.

I have no idea what might cause this.
I just hope it doesn't happen to any of mine.

It is something quite typical that happens to nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. It is sometimes called 'finish checking' or 'weather checking.' I believe the term 'checking' comes from the fact it often produces a checked pattern.

I am no expert on this, unlike many here, but basically the nitro lacquer has to cure. Once it does so, it becomes quite brittle. Then, it cannot expand or contract at the same rapid rates of some woods when subject to extreme or sudden temperature changes. So, it 'checks.' It also depends on the type or formulation of the nitro, and I believe the prep and wood too(?).

It can take on many visual forms - long or short cracks up the body, parallel to the neck, or across the body, spaced widely, tightly spaced, a loose check pattern, a tight check pattern, etc.

Some people like this when it happens, some love it, and some don't. But, it is to be expected at some stage with many if not most nitro finished guitars. Your's almost certainly won't if they are some form of poly or urethane finish.

I'm slightly surprised mine did because I've heard it is rarer with more modern formulations, especially if over a urethane base coat, as mine is.

Pictures to follow.

Pax/
Dean

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Managed to get some photos in which they show up. They really are actually very hard to see in real life.

Related to that, it turns out there are more too, including an extra three sided box one on the front and also on the top edge of the upper front bout. And some that seem to have spread out from some of the small dings it already had, which you can see in some of the photos.

7BD75CE2-68C3-4AF9-A1C3-B8611A156B12.JPEG

A72BE6EE-2893-4C2B-AC01-0642C313CFCF.JPEG

3CCDF82C-4BA4-42C1-A5DA-6F8D875444F3.JPEG

Pax/
Dean

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
Check please.

20220118_215253.jpg

20220118_214946.jpg

20220118_215042.jpg

(Slack strings pulled funky when I was holding it by the neck)

But I understand not loving the first one going sideways. Just saw your pics. Those don't look bad to me.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Funny thing about the "perpendicular" checking on Fenders: it seems to happen more with the (originally) Lucite/acrylic lacquers, especially metallics. The CS Tele above seems like a good example.

Considering the fact that those colors have certainly changed composition over the years, could it be the result of thicker clear coats? Metallic finishes always seem to need more clear.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Funny thing about the "perpendicular" checking on Fenders: it seems to happen more with the (originally) Lucite/acrylic lacquers, especially metallics. The CS Tele above seems like a good example.

I remember reading about something like this, how typically Fenders tend to crack one way and Gibsons another. I can't really remember the details now, but some reason or set of reasons was being put forth.

I quite enjoy this sort of semi arcane stuff. It's not really important in the grand scheme of things, but interesting anyway.

Pax/
Dean

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
another crack job.... goanna tracks...

one of my clear poly coats made the one under it crack up.... I watched it happen as I sprayed the final coat.... the previous one was well dry, too...

I painted cream over it and flat sanded it back leaving the cracks...

goanna tracks in the sand,,,

cracked tele1.jpg
goanna august 21 noiseless 1.jpg

poly1.jpg

poly3.jpg