Crack appeared after (light) heat application

ckmoore

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Took torch to bare body to pop some grain in the basswood. No where near the heat for Shou Sugi ban type of finish.

Small crack appeared in glue joint. Current plan is to heat up body and epoxy a bit to thin out, and dribble it in the crack.

Would this be a decent solution? Not sure I want to slice it apart at the seam and clean glue surfaces/reglue, since this is a relatively cheap body blank.

Attachments

• Crack1.jpg
    Crack1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 46

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
Do a stress test, if the crack widens/deepens easily then it's likely trash. If it stays as it is now, the epoxy will work just fine.
When doing the epoxy, warm the wood and the epoxy, it will seep in deeper.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Heat breaks down most of the glues we use in guitar construction.

Tite-Bond, CA, epoxy - they all break down under heat

If you are confident that the rest of the glue glue joint is solid, you can just run some CA into the crack to fill it up.

Just keep in mind that if you are doing a transparent finish with dyes or stains, any excess glue around the crack can affect how the dye or stain gets absorbed into the wood.

With a clear finish - at least most of the time, a CA repair doesn't show up through the clear finish because the CA is clear too.

Speedy454

Tele-Holic
Epoxy will give an amber tint wherever it touches the wood. The CA may be a better choice to carefully apply to that crack.

ckmoore

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I am not concerned on how any glue affects stain, sine this is the kind of look I am going for. Imperfections will add to it.
I did a pretty good lean on test, and didnt see any movement. So I think maybe the epoxy will be fine.

Attachments

• JazzBassDarkColor.jpg
    JazzBassDarkColor.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 14

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
By warm the wood/epoxy I should have said Hair dryer on medium, for both.
FYI there is a thicker CA glue that would work too. I find it tends to need multiple applications to get level.