Crabbing in the Choptank

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Sep 2, 2019.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

The weather was nice so me and the kids drove down from Baltimore to see my folks in Cambridge. They live at the mouth of the Choptank river, on the shallow side, and the crabs don't get good there until late in the season. Labor Day weekend is usually the first really good weekend there. So we spent about 2.5 hours on the docks and pulled out 6 large and 17 medium/small. I picked them and what the kids didn't eat out of my pile, got made into crabcakes.

My dad likes the pull-up traps, but I like to run hand lines. I just tie a chicken neck to a string, and when it goes taut, there's a crab on there. You pull them in slow, they're too stupid to let go. When they get close enough to the surface to see, scoop them with a net from underneath. It's really that easy.

Here's babygirl moving one from the dock of the neighbor's house to the live box:

[​IMG]

Here's the live box after about 90 minutes:

[​IMG]

Here's the crabcakes ready to go in the broiler:

[​IMG]

Here's my plate with plenty coleslaw and rice pilaf:

[​IMG]

And here's Anona from our afternoon hike, ready to lie down in any old water:

[​IMG]

School starts tomorrow, so we're trying to get our time in while we can. Hope y'all are enjoying your Labor Day as much as we are.

2. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

I prefer the hand lines also, and bluefish heads will get you twice as many crabs as chicken necks but you have to catch the bluefish first. I played a gig on Taylor's island on Saturday, probably a stone's throw from where you were.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So tasty...

jondanger likes this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Your little one is a beauty! Sounds like an idyllic day and what a great feast. Thanks for a slice of you Labor Day weekend!

jondanger likes this.
  5. jondanger

I think what makes the hand lines better is that the bait moves in the water, and the crabs do too. So they kind of find each other down there.

My folks always get bushels from somewhere down near Hooper’s Island. I love it down there, but my work and my wife’s school is keeping us here. Sometimes I wonder if we’re not destined to move down that way eventually.

Pete Baker and MickM like this.
  6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Sounds like you've had a wonderful day. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy it. And Anona may not understand the holiday but it looks like a great time anyway!

jondanger likes this.
  7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When we were kids, my 2 brothers and me could've offered our Dad five hundred bucks to take us fishing and the answer would've been no. He just didn't dig it. However when we would vacation at the Assateague Island National Seashore we would spend hours wading in the backwater with hand lines and a net catching dinner whenever we wanted crabs. The first day we went crabbing was off of some old deserted docks along with the other vacationing rookies where the few crabs there were skittish from all the action. After that we tried wading and the crabs acted as if they never saw a net. You could pull some of them out of the water and they'd hang on to the bait with one claw and eat with the other.
    It's a great time for kids without the "boredom" of fishing with a meal to boot.

Nightclub Dwight and jondanger like this.
  8. jondanger

Crabs are for the impatient but tireless hunter.

Nightclub Dwight and MickM like this.
  9. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

I grew up in Baltimore but left in 1998. My wife and I used to love going to Harris Crab House on Kent Island Narrows in the summer. We’ve learned the hard way not to order crab cakes anyplace but the Delmarva region as they never fail to disappoint.

10. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Man, oh man, I sure do miss those fresh crabbin' days!
    I lived for a few years in Cove Point on the western shore, and we used to do that all the time.
    That's some good eatin' right there! Enjoy!

jondanger likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'm a land lubber so don't get the chance for good crab cakes...but man, what a treat when you finally get some!

I envy the ability to just pull em' out of the sea...

jondanger likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yum! Crab cakes!

brbadg and jondanger like this.
  13. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That looks like a perfect day to end the summer. That's the way a kid should close it out before the first day of school. I hope you and your family get to enjoy fun times like that for many years to come.

jondanger likes this.
  14. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

I just got here, I'm not Florida man, yet...
    I used to live directly across the bay from the Choptank. Looks like you and your family had a great time.

jondanger likes this.
  15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I love crab cakes, haven’t had any really good ones in quite a while. Gotta fix that.

jondanger likes this.
  16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I am a landlubber from the Midwest but we used to have business down by Chesapeake Bay. We would always go to Stony’s For crab cakes. They were fantastic.

jondanger likes this.
  17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Repeat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.