Coyotes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How widespread are coyotes ?

They're here.

Coming home from a job last winter, one was sauntering down the middle of our street. Gone by the time my phone was raised.

2. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

We have roving packs of Coyotes all over New Mexico.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We have lots of coyotes in the Vancouver area. There's a family not far from me, and they start yipping and yowling when sirens are going past. I see coyotes in the daytime quite often.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm on the MA NH border and we hear them all the time. Lots of wildlife being pushed out of their habitats in this neck of the woods. We see a lot of deer, wild turkeys and this summer there was an eagle spotted nearby.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

The last couple of years I've been seeing (and hearing) more and more of them in my neighborhood, about 30 miles North of downtown Atlanta. Never saw any until the last few years...

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

Literally? Of course not. OTOH, a wise crack like that will tell me lots about who will take things far too seriously.

7. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

I hear them at my family ranch in Somerville, TX all the time. Sitting out on the cabin porch at night, listening to the forlorn sounds of coyotes is always cool.

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

We do not have any confirmed breeding Coyotes here, but they are in NYC and it's only a matter of time before the get to the rural parts of Long Island and take hold. I'm very much looking forward to their arrival.

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not they are being pushed out, that already happened long ago. They are learning how to push back in and survive in suburban and urban areas.

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Outside our bedroom window.

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and Mansonienne like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my relatives who lived out west of Pond Ca way out in the sticks, who's neighbor had a little Chihuahua he just loved. One day his little dog spied a coyote at the edge of a cotton field and ran towards it barking. The coyote ran straight to the little dog, scooped him up and down the road he went. The little Chihuahua was squealing in terror, before the horrified owner could do anything the coyote had disappeared into the cotton field and was gone.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a hard time not pulling for the coyote, in that scenario

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

When I had hounds, I used to hunt up on Breckenridge Mountain quite a lot. Some nights when I'd go to them when my hounds treed a varmint, they would circle arpound me at a distance all yapping and howling. By the way, the sound insert you hear in movies for a coyote howling sounds nothing at all like a real coyote. Some nights they would be like a quarter of a mile away, seeming to run in circles howling all round me. There must have been a LOT of coyotes to encircle me at that distance. I never had them bother me, just howl at me. At one time, dogs before you taught them not to would run a coyote. Nowadays, the young hunters tell me if their dog runs a coyote, he probably won't come back, because he stayed for dinner.

14. Toto'sDad

I would never let Toto more than a few feet from me (not that he ever gets very far from me anyway) when I used to take him up to Glennville to my wife's sister's place in the mountains. It finally worried me so much I quit taking him when I went up there. They have a little dog named peaches, but she's only ever outside long enough to do her business and that was in a fenced yard.

15. Toto'sDad

They used to shoot coyotes and hang 'em on fences in Texas. When I was a kid, I have seen hundreds of them hanging on barbed wire, pretty sure that doesn't happy anymore. I don't know that for sure, but I'm guessing the practice isn't in fashion today. They really can be a destructive animal to sheep, and other animals.

Well it seems I spoke to quickly.

From a publication on May 5, 2013 on a rural road down in Texas:

[​IMG]

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Makes sense though, when I was a kid we had a , what the heck do you call it ?, a small "lookoutpoint" shed at the very top of an old rundown barn, that the pigeons loved to make a huge mess in, I used to shoot them and nail the carcasses to that thing, in hopes of driving them off

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It's like Joe Buck moving to NYC & hooking up with Ratso Rizzo...

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have seen a few near our place in NW Austin, and hear them frequently.

We lost one cat, but it's just our guess that he got invited to dinner one evening and never returned. We tried to keep him in, but every now and then, he just had to make his rounds. He was a refugee from Katrina, and lived a fine life in Texas. There's no shortage of domestic cats. I have seen my wife recently scouting the inventory of the local animal shelters.

I don't own livestock, so I kind of like seeing something wild out there, coyotes included. We've got plenty of deer (the dog-sized white tail), rabbits, possum, raccoons and a large assortment of rodents that make for Purina Coyote chow. I'd miss that howling chorus.

19. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

TD, when we bought our place near Stephenville I loaded up the wife to show her the building site. As we drove up my neighbor had a couple of coyotes hanging on his fence. My wife's eyes went wide and she mentioned something about just what kind of barbaric place I had brought her to. Flash forward one year and we started losing chickens in the back yard. I came home one day to find the wife loading the shotgun. "Where ya going, honey?" "I'm going to hang me up some coyotes!"

Ain't it funny how your perspective can change?

20. Toto'sDad

That it does, that it does. Back before my hound hunting days, I was working on a farm cutting hay with a swather. I happened onto a coyote den where a female had several puppies most of them were cut up by the swather I was distraught at killing them. One little pup was unharmed and I picked him up, looked just like any puppy. My boss who was driving by saw my machine stopped and came down into the field carrying his shovel for what reason I don't know. When he got there I told him I had run over the puppies, he said good, took the one I was holding and smashed its head in with his shovel. He said these things are an evil pest, and away he went. Years later, I learned that his position was shared by many, and in the end, by myself as well.

elihu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.