Coworker Decided To Start Bringing Her Dog To Work ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Jumping in late but I really think it depends on the size of the workplace, only a Sith deals in absolutes!

There are a grand total of 6 people that work in my office/workshop. After asking everyone if they were cool with it my boss started bringing his dog to work when it was a puppy. I got a dog some time after that and did the same: asked everyone if it was OK for me to bring him sometimes. All employees agreed, both dogs are incredibly chill, but sometimes the mailman has to just slip the envelopes through the slot in the door. :lol:

I bring my dogo to work 2-3 days a week, he is a friendly and handsome German shepherd with a bit of separation anxiety, if I don't wake up early enough to walk him before work he comes with me and only on days when I'll be at my desk. If I know I'll be in the workshop he does not come to work.

It also give me a reason to eat lunch quickly to leave time for a walk which breaks up the day for both of us. If my office was any bigger or had any more employees I would agree that it's best to leave them at home in that situation.

Newbcaster likes this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, that's a false equivalence. There's no business purpose in having a dog living in somebody's desk drawer. The business comes first.

If you allow it on a case by case basis, perceptions of favoritism can result. And there's always that boogie man, liability. Somebody gets bitten, somebody gets sued. Somebody's dog rejected, somebody gets unhappy with their job. Stains on the rugs, dog fights in the break room, you get the idea. If you own the company and don't care, go for it. If you just run it, be real careful about the hassles you buy into. You can lose your job if you blow it up. A solid going business with a happy work force is hard enough to sustain without pointless complications.

FenderGyrl and notmyusualuserid like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Clint & Toto 007[3273].JPG
    You know I keep coming back to this, I am sincerely not being contentious, but I would offer this:

Toto was well known to be my good and trusted friend, he was a contributor here on the forum for years. When he passed, many, many forum members expressed their sorrow at his passing. What I'm getting at, if I could forgo taking the world famous Toto to Home Depot, even though I hated being away from him, it seems to me a big burly young man who was bristling with physical well being could have left his dog at home. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Bringing dogs into public places is a fairly new thing. A few weeks ago, I saw some people on the golf course with their dog, now I know old Fido was a good boy and all, but I'd hate to have to putt through one of his droppings. People of today also think nothing of carrying a boom box on a golf cart to the complete distraction of others so that they can feel comfortable listening to hip hop. What I don't understand is why? Why would you purposefully annoy those around you? The businesses know if they try and stop people from abusing their hospitality, they'll end up in court, that's the main answer to the why. The larger why though, I don't understand, why do something just because you can?

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m really late on the topic FG but I freaked when you said “Plant Manager”.

So someone is bringing their puppy into a manufacting environment?!? I guess that if you worked in a music store it could be charming but I’m concerned about a drawer sized dog in a manufacturing environment.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My “shop dog” experience at a busy, high traffic music store was not great.
    He was/is a sweet dog, but he was underfoot.
    Some customers who weren’t expecting him were scared, or wary of him, too.
    Maybe a shop dog would be charming in a high end “lawyerwood” shop.
    Dunno.
    In a busy “pro shop”, not so much.
    Also, some music/guitar shops can occasionally get loud.
    Not good for Fido, IMO.

studio1087 likes this.
  6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

We are in the front office.

studio1087 likes this.
  7. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Dogs have no place in a supermarket or restaurants for that matter. That's where people buy food, and the last thing I want is dog hair or pee or crap where I buy my food.
    People are so narcissistic, and dont give a damn about anyone else

8. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

wish my idiotic neighbors would take their dog to work...

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree with you. I grew up in the country, and everybody had dogs and cats (not to mention raccoons and possums and whatever else) for pets. But this notion of taking your dog with to the coffee shoppe and so forth...I just don't get it.

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Considering the New York Times article I would like to bring one of the comments to your attention.

Entitled tourists bring their dogs to restaurants in France. Please don't promote the idea that others find this acceptable. Not all french people are obsessed with dogs, as the author seems to think. And if they were, it would still be highly unlikely for them to bring their pet to an indoor restaurant. (End of quote.)

Ain't that the truth.

Not that we don't have enough entitled dog owners ourselves already.

11. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Still better than the US. besides. I'm proud to be an entitled dog owner. :)

Lucky I own my own biz too. Sure as hell would never not hire someone because of age, race color etc...but if you dont own a dog, you dont have a snowball's chance under Satan's ballsack of ever getting hired with me.

And if you own a dog but wont take him anywhere..you are gonna get fired like Evel Knievel out of a cannon.

Dont like it? Tough.

12. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Ok that's enough ....this is getting out of hand, now . i deleted some posts next is the lock ..discuss in a civil manner and that's it ..

kplamann and FenderGyrl like this.
  13. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

There’s a music store in our city and at one time the owner not only had a German Shepard walking around, he also had a chicken that would walk back and forth on counter top. The owner would coddle it and walk around holding it like a baby. When I saw that, I realized it was time to find another music store!
    Funny but the guy is still in business!

Regarding the last bunch of posts, calm down and play nice!

14. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

As long as the dog stays in the desk drawer, nobody complains (gets bitten, or steps in/smells anything) and theres no policy not sure what the problem is.

Now that she's brought hers, and established precedent what happens when other people start bringing in theirs?

When I was the case manager of a county owned children's group home I would take my big yellow lab to work with me.

The kids enjoyed her, the staff didn't mind. And when I couldn't or didn't want her with me, she was content to sleep in my office.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.