1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Covid Cabronita style partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ducksteino, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Hi TDPRI folx.
    I'd been eying those squier cabronitas for a while. Finally decided to raid the parts drawer and put one together. Bought the body from GFS. The pics don't do it justice just yet.

I had this neck & figured I'd start with it. A friend gave it to me, we have no idea where it's from.

IMG_6852.jpeg

Mounted the neck:

C59F4035-D756-4CAE-B1F6-347BDF190485_1_105_c.jpeg

replaced tuners (much better)

IMG_6901.jpeg

The holes for the pots were a little narrow so I ... oops.

IMG_6889.jpeg

It's OK, it'll be covered by the volume dial. I found the chips and glued them down anyway.

The pockets are tight!
    IMG_6897.jpeg IMG_6894.jpeg

Mounting pickups. I used the square rubber mats, cut in half, and screwed into the wood.

IMG_6892.jpeg

Strung up & checking neck, frets, and intonation.
    IMG_6906 copy.jpg

2. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Also, my wiring leaves a bit to be desired. I've got no sound. I tried this schematic, but grounded everything to the tone pot. Like I said above, it's tight in the pocket, and I'm thinking a couple wires could be touching each other. I'll check today...

Also, I sprung for the TV jones - I found blemished Setzer models on their website. Even though I'm earning less now I figured I'd check out the hype and treat myself. I may get a new neck eventually, as this one is kind of an odd D shape - we'll see after I get the wiring taken care of.

: WIRING CABRONITA.png

BBQedIguana likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

It looks great!

Is that Sonic Blue? Pictures are very deceiving.

That's a nice looking neck. Is it a vintage heel adjust or is it an Allen wrench type nut? Any pics of the heel?

Multimeter is your friend. Set it to continuity and you'll have issues sorted out in no time.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

Wow that is a nice looking guitar! You did a fantastic job on that - congrats! :)

Ducksteino likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Great job - it looks classy.

6. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

You've been suckered by that schematic too. I wired mine like that, guess what no sound. The two poles of that switch that is indicated to ground, should actually go to the volume control. They are the actual output from the switch.

Ducksteino and jfgesquire like this.
  7. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Take the ground wires from the pickup to ground (anywhere you fancy), then join the inner two contacts of that switch to the volume pot.

Ducksteino likes this.
  8. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

great looking guitar !

hope you get to hear her play soon -

9. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Thanks for the helpful comments. Texas Special I'll give that a shot this afternoon.

Color: Sonic Blue color from GFS. White poplar body, which I read is pretty soft, so I measured several times & used the strings to check the angle before mounting bridge & neck.

Yes this is some kind of old neck, my friend (he's of an age with my uncles, in his late 60's) used to work for Guild making arch tops, then Fender, pre-Mexico. He left and went into IT after that. This isn't a fender neck, though. I should reach out again and see if he remembers. I played it a bit (unplugged) and the contour is growing on me. Flat D.

Truss Rod - It's a vintage heel, with the truss rod access there. That spooked me a bit, since I don't want to have to remove it too much. I checked it several times and set it pretty flat (some relief) but i figured i'd try it.

zippofan likes this.
  10. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Also, I gotta say a thank you to this whole forum. I've learned so much here over the years.

You folks have helped so much. I first came here to learn how to fix up my Brother's early 90's MIM Tele. He had loaned it to a neighbor's kid for a while and it came back in rough shape. Then there was a nasty divorce that left him with bills and the kids to raise. He's too good a guy not to get this back in great shape. I took it to a shop to level the frets & overall setup, then came here to learn from you all:

- 4-way switch
    - shielded cavities
    - replaced wiring harness
    - replaced pickups (mojotones)

Since then I've done a few projects on my own guitars for fun & stop in for the advice, and to chip in where I can. Thanks again for everything.

Blister likes this.
  11. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

OK, first of all a huge thank you to Texas Special for pointing out the grounding issue on that diagram. I've finished the wiring and this baby sounds amazing.

IMG_6918.jpeg

Here's the first time I plugged in:

12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very :cool:

Ducksteino likes this.
  13. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Sounds and looks good.

Ducksteino likes this.
  14. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Sweeeeet!

Bloozestringer likes this.
  15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Nice work and nice playin! Hendrix estate was very nearly unleashed there at the end! Good thing your cameraman heard it coming and bailed.

16. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Thanks for the appreciation, friends.

These pickups are incredible. I should post a vid where I put them through the paces. They are really clear & bright, but still thick. Some of that could be the thickness of the neck - it's like a thicker version of the new slim necks on the Gibson SG's.

17. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Nice axe. How do the TV Jones pickups mount?

18. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

They mount into the wood, with a rubber spacer to keep it close to the strings

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.