1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cover of "There Stands the Glass"

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Ward, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Here we are last month at the Wagon Wheel in Santee doing a cover of "There Stands the Glass".

2. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

I love this video. Such a great, great song -- and there's something moving, quintessentially American, about those dancers.

3. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

Very cool Ward. Nice job.

4. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Thanks guys! There's nothing like playing a country bar with people two steppin'. It kind of makes all the practice, gear buying, and other b.s. worthwhile.

5. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Enjoyed it very much!

6. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Nice stuff Ward. The steel player in my band hates it when I play steel type licks on my tele! Does yours? I thinks it's because he always wants to play the lead parts, it really helps me with my improv because if I even start to play s steel type bend he'll play something that'll make it sound all dissonant, the bast**d

7. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

The advantage you have over the steel player is that you can beat him over the head with your tele when he does that, but his steel is too heavy to return the favor.

Seriously...the steel players I've played with don't really care. First, they're all better than me. Second, when I do steel licks, I always try to do a cartoonish impersonation rather than the real thing. I once saw this interview with Dana Carvey where he said when he impersonated George Bush, Sr. or Ross Perot, the impression was nothing like the actual person, it was intentional overkill. That's why the people loved the act, not because he actually looked and sounded like the person he was trying to imitate. For instance, a steel player barely moves the volume pedal when they play. I thrash that thing all over the place.

You'll never play steel licks better than a steel player. But you can imitate what they do to create cool guitar sounds. As long as your steel player knows that, they'll know you're not trying to replace them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.