Couple'a post-build fine tuning questions.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by _MementoMori_, May 12, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Hey all. So I've been spending some time with new partscaster, and while I love it, I do have a few questions/concerns now that the finished product is in my hands. Rather than bumping my build thread with questions, I decided to just list them here:

1. String trees - does anyone with staggered tuners still use 'em? Anybody got a good example of what the perfect break angle should look like coming off the nut to the posts? Most of mine are dead straight.

2. I did not shield the cavities. When my tone knob is dialed to zero, all is well. When my tone knob is turned up, especially on the bridge pup, this thing sounds like a jar of pissed off bees. Should I have shielded?

3. I had the neck installed by a local luthier. There was a chance that it would need shimmed due to a non-standard neck pocket depth, but he did not mention shimming it when I picked it up. Is it visibly apparent when a neck has been shimmed? I don't see a gap between the neck and the neck pocket. Not super important - just wondering.

Thanks guys.

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

1. I have periodically, but very seldom, come across someone who has needed a string tree on staggqrd tuners because of their playing style pulling the high e out of the nut slot. Otherwise, no.

2. Are you confident all is grounded well as it is and the pup is wired correctly. Have you tried it in different locations such as in different rooms and buildings with the same result? It never hurts to shield.

3. If the shim is in the back of the pocket you won't see it. If set up is good and you like it you don't need one.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

Pretty sure, yeah. I followed the fairly straightforward instructions for wiring the pickups, and I ran a wire for a bridge ground. I guess there's a slim chance that the guy who bolted down my bridge didn't slip the wire in place first, but it was a shop licensed to do Fender repairs so I doubt it.

eallen likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Staggered tuners add almost no additional break angle compared to string trees, so the B and E will be gently laid in the nut slots.
    Nut needs to be perfectly cut and should be deeper than the shallow slots used with a traditional setup with stronger break angle.
    Just look at the side of the new headstock next to a string tree setup and it's clear that there is very very little break angle with staggered tuners alone.

Buzz?
    Or hum?
    Worse than other guitars with same pickups?
    Seems like a wiring problem.
    Shielding isn't required for a tolerably quiet guitar.

I wouldn't worry about shim or no shim, what is this guitar?
    I find a Tele seldom needs a shim but a Strat more often needs one due to sometimes a higher trem bridge and saddles that have a smaller range of workable heights. Shims don't matter unless the setup is bad and needs one, or was made bad by foolish use of one.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I've got one with staggered tuners without a tree. I'm tempted to add one. I'll probably play around with the nut first. We'll see.

My old Kramer Pacer was shimmed at the factory. Non-recessed Floyds tended to need them. Warmoth makes an angled pocket to deal with it. Same thing.

On a regular tele or strat bridge, I think there's sometimes some variation in pocket depth or neck thickness, because I've seen some that were definitely improved by a shim, and others were just worse. You used to always find old matchbook covers in the neck pocket. That was a thing. But, overall, it depends on how well the strings can push down on the string height screws, and go ahead and do it if you need to.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  6. _MementoMori_

I'm tempted to call it buzz more than hum. I can't compare it to a similar guitar unfortunately because it's my only Telecaster/T-style guitar. I guess I should probably pull the control plate and see what's going on in there. It's a pretty basic 3 way setup though.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Does the buzz get softer when you put your hand on the strings, and louder when you take your hand OFF the strings?
    That's normal and due to the player needing to be grounded, which happens when you touch the strings which are grounded via the grounded bridge.
    Assuming the bridge IS grounded?

8. _MementoMori_

I've told you lies. I just spent 10 minutes noodling with all pickups and all tone knob settings. Whatever I heard that prompted bullet number two on this thread, I don't hear now. A faint hiss that does get louder with the tone knob cranked, but not detrimentally so. I heard it yesterday on my old solid state amp and experimented just now with my tube amp. So there is a variable.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

If you wind your strings down the tuner peg from the string hole (as you always should) and allow a full 2 tuner or 2 fret length leader on the plain strings and 1 tuner or 1 fret leader on the wound strings, you will get the proper down pressure at the nut that the staggered tuners are designed to provide.

Also, if you place your cell phone in close proximity to your solid state amp, you can get all kinds of spurious noise through the amp.

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Is the partscaster in question the pic that replaced jango?

11. _MementoMori_

You bet.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.