Couple Sells Everything to Sail Around the World

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Classic example of violation of the 5 Ps--Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a fact.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Trying to intentionally drown a dog is a senseless act of cruelty and should be punished. If they want to jump out of an aircraft without a parachute, that is their prerogative. But leave the poor dog alone.

4. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Years ago, when I traveled with the rodeo, I spent a little time working with my boss on his boats. Being "affluent" as he called it, he had several boats, including a sailboat which he liked to race around the Bahamas.

Boats and the ocean were new things to me. I had spent a lot of time at the beach when I lived in California, but the beach is not the sea. I was completely absorbed with the idea of being able to sail with the wind anywhere in the world. My boss's boats were big and expensive, but were comfortable, with all the comforts I could imagine at the time. With a boat like one of his, you could see the world in comfort, and not even need a hotel room.

Some of the other sailboats in the marina were amazing, a couple of them had been around the world a few times, the owners renting them out to rich folk, providing the crews to sail them. Back then, the world was still a very big place to me, and the thought of sailing around it sounded grand.

My boss was taking his racing boat to compete in a run from the gulf to Bimini, and he asked me if I wanted to be one of the crew. He said it wasn't easy, that it would be a wet and cold trip. He said that racing sailboats was like sitting in cold shower, tearing up hundred dollar bills. But, I thought to myself, if sailing was not really fun, my boss wouldn't be doing it, he'd be playing golf or something else instead.

We set out late at night for the start, and while in the gulf things were not that bad. The boat was quick, and I was having a great time. But the day wore on, and we entered the Atlantic, where there were swells, and I started to get sick.

Well after dark, when I was as miserable as I had ever been, a storm rolled in. There was wind, lighting, and heavy rain. The seas didn't get any worse, but my boss was not a very good sailor, and screwed up the sails, the wind twisted everything up, breaking a cable, and then the mast. The boat had a small motor, which of course wouldn't start, so we were stuck, stranded in a storm, in the Atlantic.

Luckily, the storm soon passed, my boss called for help, the call was relayed to a service, and some 5 hours later a boat came to tow us back. The boat was towed to the Florida east coast, then through a canal to lake Okeechobee, across the lake, and to a another canal which took us to the gulf coast.

Nope, sailing is not for me.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

Is it ethical to give them more money, so their craft can go down out in open waters?

Wondering if the gods were in a kindly mood and were trying to save these people from themselves.

6. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't give them a penny.

7. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They sold all of their belongings and all they got was $5,000? And they're going to take that and sail around the world. What a great idea; what could possibly go wrong? Morons who don't want to work. That's a great combination.

8. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

“Money isn’t everything”

“Please donate money”

Ugh...they are lucky to be alive

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Success at an attempt at something is not what you do its how you do it.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't see that side of sailing in the travelogues. EVERYTHING one does in life has a "rest of the story" to go with it.

Nickadermis likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hope your healing is going well!

Nick, I think domestic animals stay "safe", alone at home, too often. No, I don't think their choice of breed was wise. I guess I would prefer that it be the kind of dog that survived while they perished, if it came to that. And no, I don't appreciate people using animals as the "point of the spear" on mindless forays towards disaster - a dog off leash in bear country is a bit too extreme for me.

But animals love adventure. We love tripping across the country and sometimes the dog must wait in the car for 3 minutes. I am so sick of all the menacing from people who lie in wait, hoping to smash all the glass in my vehicle (with the pretext being that all that flying glass will help a sleeping puppy).

We're all on a dead end journey, of sorts. I think of every dog in the possession of a homeless person is at least, one less animal that's due soon to be euthanized. Dogs = adventure.

Hammerdog likes this.
  12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Ha ha ! I think I am getting better every day. I appreciate you asking !

My view point is from having sailed singlehanded through the Straights of Magellan at a younger age than this couple, but with VASTLY more training and experience. whether this was a publicity stunt or a Darwinistic endeavor that's a long ways for the little guy to dog paddle :)

Thankfully they weren't even capable of negotiating a channel :confused:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

They said they were tired of working, wanted to see the world. But not too tired to beg working people for money.

Stubee and Bones like this.
  14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll have to take it back. They are clearly very clever.

$14k in three days for no work.

IMG_4688.JPG

All they need to do is put a dog in danger a couple of times a year under pseudonyms and they may never need to work again.

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I only feel sorry for the dog.

16. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

The husband passed away this year. Surviving is his wife.

I encouraged her to do so. We'll have to wait and see.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that's sad, I'm sorry to hear of the husband's death. I hope things go better for the woman.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Around the world, eh?

I think if I sold just about everything I own, I could go to Newark for the weekend.

Andy B, william tele and tery like this.
  20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.