1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Couple of upgrades on the Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by flyingbanana, Dec 31, 2012.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've had an on again off again thing with my Les Paul Studio Faded. Since not trading it in on another Les Paul with P90's, I decided to upgrade.

I wanted to start small and inexpensive first. Boy, was I in for a nice surprise.

First off, I changed out the 2 volume pots with Gibson 500k audio taper pots. They both measured right at 500k for a change, rather than 1 at 460 and the other at 525. I like em balanced. The old ones were 300k linear taper pots. Sorry...our ears do not hear in linear. That's the biggest load of.....well nevermind.

So changed those, ripped out the rest...except the tone pots, which are audio taper and 500k. (who'd a thunk it?) I rewired everything 50's style, but went with Orange Drop caps....022 for both pickups.

I also installed a new Gibson aluminum stop bar that I picked up in a parts trade a few months ago. The difference is quite noticeable and very soothing to the ears. The volume is now adjustable, and I can clean up the sound by turning the V knobs down. Before it was like...all on or all off. Very sucky. Should of done this long ago.

Now, the guitar sounds like it ought to. The pickups sound fuller, the inbetween tone is to die for and the guitar just sort of thumps and puts out a thick Les Paul sound. I can't really explain it another way. It just sounds great now.

Makes me wonder why on earth Gibson would just do this from the get go.

It's a keeper now...and no need to change the pickups at this juncture, unless Ron Ellis throws a set of his humbuckers my way...I might consider that upgrade.

2. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I know that Capacitor Police will come when I say this, but get Paper in Oil caps like .015 and .022 neck and bridge combo.

3. flyingbanana

Yep. I know the feeling. I've got some good ones, but they're all .033, .047 and .1. The .022's are getting pricey.

4. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Did you wire it '50s style? Real easy mod if haven't.

5. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

he did

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

~IN BEFORE THE CAPACITOR POLICE~

I have vintage Sprague PIO caps and 50's wiring in my Gibsons. The tone is wonderful.

7. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

I see now...

8. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

We of the Capacitor Police are silenced by the TDPRI's prohibition against discussions of religion.

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

:eek:

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

The faded sells at $899 or whatever it is now and I would imagine that Gibson does not really want it to sound like one of their high-price Les Pauls, so they make sure it doesn't.

11. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

12. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

Next, put a Bigsby on it. Don't look back.

13. flyingbanana

Just an update. I happened to measure the old volume pots...264k and 240k. That might have been part of the problem...:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.