Couple of questions about spraying a neck.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by milocj, Aug 3, 2015.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm sure that these are spread out somewhere in the forum, but a search didn't turn up anything obvious out of the first batch I read. My questions are pretty simple, so hopefully they can be answered quickly and simply. I do have some experience with spraying Jeeps and motorcycles, but it has been at least 20 years. Both questions are pretty easy.

First, I have two Musikraft maple necks that came with their sealer. I've heard that they use a nitro sealer wash, so I'm wondering if that is enough to just start with a couple layers of lacquer, then some tint, and a couple more clear coats or if I can go straight to the tint and then a couple of coats of nitro.

The next question is what is the best method for spraying a neck? Do I hang it vertically and spray vertically or horizontally, or do I hang it horizontally and which direction of spray (horizontal or vertical) will give me the smoothest finish with the least buffing?

The smaller parts I've sprayed on vehicles were easier to determine which direction of spray and orientation of the part would allow the best lines and least overspray.

Thanks.

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Direct from their website:

Thin Lacquer Sealer:

A very thin application of lacquer, with a semi-gloss look and feel; our preferred pre-finish treatment and sufficient to honor our warranty. The advantage of this treatment is that the neck is sealed and ready for the next process if you wish to add more coats of lacquer - whether clear or tinted. We charge $20 for the labor cost involved in the process. We do not offer this in a tinted application.

As for direction, I have tried both ways. I did not personally find any difference in terms of end result, so have stuck with hanging vertically. Mainly because it's too tempting/easy to put too wet a coat on when horizontal, whereas vertical I can tell when to stop at a stage that is wet enough but not too wet (ie before it runs). I might revisit this, though, as at least when doing a maple fretboard, there may well be an advantage to being able to lay down a very flat, wet coat. But with anything not getting a finish on the fretboard, I will stick to vertical. YMMV and all that.

As for the direction of spray, I only use nitro, so don't find direction to be of any great significance, as provided I am spraying a wet enough coat, it all flows together anyway. I suspect I mainly go vertical for the back of the neck, and a combination of vertical and horizontal for the front (on the rare occasions I am doing a maple fretboard). Again: YMMV.

3. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I like to make myself a neck-sickle and hold it in my left hand while spraying with my right hand.
    [​IMG]

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I had considered just continuing to play the necks without any additional finish, but I want just a touch more tint to them. Wanted to make sure that there was enough sealer there to go straight to the tint phase without risk of blotches and I'd prefer less risk of finish build up around the frets.

Its good to know that either method of hanging/spraying shouldn't make much difference as it has been a long time since I tried painting anything that I had to be careful about making sure I started and stopped the trigger before and after actually having paint contact the surface. I wasn't sure if one direction made it easier to get even coats or not.

I do like the paint stick idea. Given that I'm ambidextrous that may help me get the easiest shot at the areas I need while using the hand I feel will work best for each angle.

5. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Apologies if this seems to hi-jack the thread.
    I'm just about to start spraying my MK neck - same deal as the OP - there is a sealer coat on the wood (hardly detectable) and I'm using an aerosol (pic below).
    Plan is to do one coat today, then wait until the Decal arrives and is put on, and then do another 2. I think I'll test the can on a bit of scrap pine first. The fretboard is all taped off, so I just have to rig up some contraption to suspend the neck. I'm quite prepared to sand and re-do - but patience is the key here - never my strong point!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.