Country style lessons

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by brogh, Apr 8, 2020.

1. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well,

I got some time where i can finally hang in quite some time more with my Tele, I want to take advantage of this time frame to pump up my chops and start to get seriously some country stuff locked in.

Was thinking about getting a course/dvd to do this, I came over Country Guitar Chops DVD's watched a few videos, and seems very good material, was wondering if you guys know any other good course to get me started right.

Advice ?

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

TelenTubes and brogh like this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I have some of the Country Guitar Chops lessons...they are great! Also for country guitar I have some Truefire lessons by Bill Kirchen and Jason Loughlin...they are also both great and previewable on the Truefire website and their YouTube channel.

UPDATE: I just saw that Truefire is offering a 30-day free trial that gives you access to all (I think) of their lessons. So...if you now have the time, that sounds like a no-brainer to at least try and browse around, see if there are lessons/instructors that fit your learning style and goals.

Paulie_Boy and brogh like this.
  4. brogh

Admin Post
    Thanks to both !

Yeah i know truefire didn't know six string country tough, I'll probably give a try to truefire i've seen some online lessons and some videos they seem very well made :), gonna look into sixstrings too and then decide :)

Thanks !

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

brogh, I'm genuinely curious

there are excellent tools to slow down recordings, so we can learn solos and vocabulary far faster and more accurately than in years past

what are you looking for that you can't get from the process of transcribing things yourself?

I'll offer two answers:

- transcription is not part of a logical system

- transcription does not teach you how to invent things of your own

that said, "learning off records" cioè learning from actual recordings is an excellent way of learning what the vocabulary actually is

brogh likes this.
  6. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I ended up with Country Guitar Chops and Six String Country - trying both... I like both. For the price of two or three private lessons, you can get a full year access to both of those sites, which is what I did. Now I can take three hours of lessons in a day if I want, or take a lesson at 5:30 in the morning.

brogh likes this.
  7. brogh

Admin Post
    Hey Ndcaster :)

Yes of course, i feel like i need some direction i mostly play bluesy stuff, I've seen some videos and stuff from you tube but didn't take my "chops" (LOL) that far, so I thought that getting for start a "DVD" or a series of lessons and commit to it would probably give me some direction :) i see also both sites offer subscription so i might gonna try one of them for a month and see form there.

I work out most of the stuff i play, but with country there's something i can't yet "catch" so a little investment is probably a good thing to do :) so getting the stuff out from records will probably come later .. I need a primer here ( right word ? :p ) think that one of these two or others might get me where i want to get.

Thanks for the tip!!

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

cool

what is the single most "country" sounding guitar track to you?

one of the most "Italian" sounding songs to me is Bellini's "Vaga Luna"

at 1:42, the repeat there is what confirms the Italianità, at least to me

that melodic arch is what inspires so many Italian songs, right down to Dalla's "Caruso" and so many others

and so, where is the most recognizably "country" note to you?

you could start there

9. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Build on what you know from playing blues if that’s your background. You’ll get a lot of mileage out of minor and major pentatonics. A lot of country, just like blues is based on I IV and V chords. Do you have half and whole step bends at your command? Another technique you can build upon from blues.

listen to country phrasing and licks and compare to the blues you’ve been playing. Where are they starting and ending in each? Really listen to some 8th note runs in country and work on getting those to sound right.

Some good suggestions above too. Figure out what works best for you. Most importantly have fun with it!

One thing I forgot to add is that country is going to try to outline the underlying chord more so than what blues generally does. I know this hangs up a lot of folks at first.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

brogh likes this.
  11. brogh

Admin Post
    Hi Thanks for the additional suggestions !

I've signed up to country guitar chops after reviewing a couple of free videos, seem very good made and what i'm looking for , 10 bucks for one month access for a try is good value :)

I'll be checking the others out too, i'd love me some Guthrie :)

Telecaster88 and E5RSY like this.
  12. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Doug Seven
    Truefire
    Country Guitar Chops
    Banjo Ben Clark (bluegrass)

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I would try to pick this one by ear slowing it down.

By the time you will have found all the parts, you will know how to play it because of the repetitions it takes to get the licks down right. And you won't have to learn it.

Edit if you really need it, I will probably try to tab this myself and post it here. But it is way better for you if you do the job yourself.

15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Check out Jason Loughlin's courses on Truefire. His 1-2-3 Country is a good place to start. Logical structure, great content, and he's also a TDPRI'er.

16. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

17. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

18. brogh

Admin Post
    Little update, I've spent some time in the guitarcountrychops website and followed some of the available lessons.

Must say the material is a lot & presented very well, I'm following the steps but I gave a peek to more advanced lessons, everything is very well made and organized, what i like is that every topic is divided in sub lessons, which are not too long so you can approach the modules based on the time you have and do the pieces that you need to do.

I'm liking it, if anyone is interested you should give it a try, absolutely worth it.

I also purchased Redd's truefire course, I've seen just a few chapters for now but I'm liking that one very much too.

19. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

I've found that Ken's tabs vary (sometimes significantly) from what he's playing in the videos. Many errors, sometimes, too. I've found that I usually have to re-write the tabs to conform to what he's playing. It's a good exercise, I guess, but time consuming. His tabs should really be more polished, IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.