1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Country Pickin' Amp ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MASONish, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll agree that we can see amps of all types on country music stages and that there are some players who choose amps that are based on the Vox AC-30Top Boost. That said, the OP asked for a twangy amp....and nothing does twang like a good BF/SF FEnder, imho. both of the players named above can play the guitar for all it is worth, but imho their sonics..especially Urban...lean to the rock side of things. Even Paisley's tone is far away from what the classic 'twang' thing is.....pretty much hot, overdriven sounds. This has been the Nashville way ever since the exodus of producers andmusicians form the WEst Coast to Nashville took place in the '90's, it seems to me. Meanwhile, at that time, PEte Anderson was 'twanging' away with DWight out in Cali....through a BF Reverb amp.
    I hear/read a lot of folks who define twang as a overdriven, fret buzzing kind of sound. That isn't twang to me. To me, twang is a clean string-to-fret relationship with a good clean amp yielding big, round tones. We might have to ask the OP what 'twang' means to him, though, right?

And, I agree with you that each individual player makes what they will/can through the limits of the equipment. That said, classic twang is a far cry from the hot rock guitar sounds that come out of Nashville today, imho. Sometimes when I tune into a 'country station' after listening to the hard rock station, I am amazed that the guitar in the 'country' is more overdriven than the guitar on the hard rock station. A lot of the 'country guitar' sounds of the lats 10-15 years come straight out of the 1980's L.A. 'earset'.

End of rant...

2. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Thank you, Wally. Most of what (poorly) passes as twang these days is what we called garage rock tone in the 70s

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, KEn, I am old school....King of TWang back in the day?? Duane Eddy.....clean, sharp and powerful. Country Twang??? For me, Don Rich sort of wrote the book on that....wtih a TR, IIRC.
    As a stablemate to the '57 low-power Twin that he OP has, the TR will get him into clean Twang at any volume. The '57 TWin will do 'hot twang' at volume.
    HEy, the TR...or any two channel FEnder REverb amp... can be modded to do hot twang in one channel as well as clean twang in the other.

At any rate.....twang on, ya'll.

I need to write a ST Patty's day twanger....'Snakes Alive"???? That sounds like a good title for an instrumental. LOL

4. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan use Fender silver face Princeton Reverbs and sound incredible with great country tones and plenty of twang. Marty Also uses a silver face Deluxe Reverb.

5. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Send us a video or some pics of it at least!! I love Lindy's stuff & a true gentleman to boot! Love to hear it!!!!

6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Classic Twang? A Twin. More modern sounds? Dr. Z Prescription.

7. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I get great sounds from my 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb for small venues and home and my 1964 Fender Super Reverb for larger venues. I like ten inch speakers. I have had newer amps but went back to old Fenders because they work and sound great. These amps work well for old school as well as new school "Twang". Have fun, Wayne

8. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

This right here.. true words of wisdom

9. RBrooks

RBrooks TDPRI Member

Country amps

I have used Fenders for years, but recently I picked up a Peavey Delta Blues and have been shocked how much I like it. The fifteen inch speaker rounds my Tele or Strat at nicely . It is significantly lighter than my twin and considerably louder than my Deluxe reverb.
    And price wise they are a bargain usually sell for $450 or less used .

10. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Modern Country: Dr Z / Vox AC30 / EL84 amps
    Classic: Marshall Plexi / Peavey Vintage / Peavey Classic
    Studio: Magnatone & Fender Deluxe Reverb most common

• Plus Carl Martin or Dynacomp compressor

At TDPRI we'd recommend a Twin Reverb even for Zorba the Greek Music. Anything to move them off the sales floor... at least with country you've got a tractor to pull it around.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  11. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Tele-Meister

"At TDPRI we'd recommend a Twin Reverb even for Zorba the Greek Music. Anything to move them off the sales floor... at least with country you've got a tractor to pull it around. "

about spit my coffee on myself!! that is funny......

12. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Mesa Lonestars sound incredible as well!! But, like a twin, you need a fork lift to carry em around. But I deal with the weight for the tone!!

13. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Twins - If only they weren't so doggone heavy

Attached Files:

14. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Sorry, not been here for a week!
    Sound clips (not brilliant,) on VVT site and also Lindy Fralins site. Regret I'm not smart enough to be able to post personal sound clips............... too old!
    Mine is here behind the 52AVRI. The Quinn Octal Derby head next to it sounds good too.............:D
    I had a Delta Blues with 15" speaker a few years ago, and liked it enough to order the LF untried. Glad I did, its compact, CLEAN sound, and powerful enough (35-40 watts) and a big improvement.Only four knobs so no techno-fear. Only thing missing is the old brown Fender tube bias tremolo - so just need a Swamp Thang pedal now..........
    The Quinn has that type of vibrato, but no reverb. Its only 20 watts, 2 x 6V6.
    It has an octal preamp channel (like 1940s Fender amps) as well as the usual 12ax7 and it gives a warmer tubey sound. Also a good amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  15. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Referring to the Zorba music and twin reverbs, when I was on holiday on the greek island of Rhodes a few years back, I was surprised to see the local Greek band all had 60s BF Fenders, two DRs and a Twin - not reissues. They were smart enough not to want to sell one to me, either!

16. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Sheesh, you've already got an outstanding amp, you lucky rascal! Get another Twin; BF, SF, Twin II or even the under-rated red knob "The Twin", which has fantastic clean tones. Twang on!

17. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Depends on what sound your looking for. A lot of tubes creates a lot of watt and headroom. Makes that clean sound you want.
    But then again, If you have a RI, you may want some more modern, somewhat dirty tone.
    Anything with tubes and at least a 12" speaker or 2X10".
    Try Fenders Supersonic Series. there you'll find good amps with a lot of possibilities to create your own sound

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

You would be surprised how many country gigs are powered by Music Man
    & Peavey amps. :)

19. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Country sound is getting hard to define these days!

If you want 'twang", use your fingers, the right amount of reverb and a Tele on the rear pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.