1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Country" Music Sucks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Soupbone, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Soupbone

Soupbone Tele-Meister

:eek:

2. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Well then, I think your opinion certainly has mucho merit ;)

3. TeleTurkey

TeleTurkey Tele-Holic

I cannot stand Gretschen Wilson. I am not sure I know why, but she doesn't ring true to me. She sounds phony as all hell.

Give me Lucinda Williams any day.

4. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic

...i think i know what you're talking about. there's a certain "sound" that almost all country recordings have when there are vocal harmonies present, especially male vocals. yeah, its extremely annoying.

-dh

5. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Yeah, except I'm hearing it on ALL of the vocals - harmonies, lead, all of 'em.

I'm beginning to think that everyone in Nashville just says the words in a monotone, and the engineer will digitally "assign" the notes to the lyric.

Does anyone even sing anymore???:rolleyes:

6. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Soupbone... I could not agree more...

Not only is it over processed bubble gum version of country music. I've just about had enough of the pretty boy, shirt open. jeans torn, dancing around on stage act :rolleyes: .. Its like a Bon Jovi concert with cowboy hats..

Hey Soupbone.. Switch the XM over to channel 13.. It used to be called "Hanks Place", now it's called "Willie's Place".. You'll get your fix there.

7. Soupbone

Soupbone Tele-Meister

I set my XM radio to Willie's Place and broke the knob off.

8. Spydog1985

Spydog1985 TDPRI Member

but they're still so much more talented than any other pop genre...

9. Soupbone

Soupbone Tele-Meister

The musicians in the studio who are recording the tracks are the only ones with the talent IMO.

10. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

funny guy :)

BTW, in the news today was the fact that Willie was pulled over and cited for possession of drugs... in the news, mind you. Musta been a slow news day ;)

11. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Again, I'm in a band with a buddy of mine who writes, what I think, are great songs. And he also has other friends who go up to Nashville pretty regularly to try out at the Bluebird Cafe. These guys are from North Texas; and they too, write great songs. Unfortunately, most of their songs don't really "make it" simply because it's not what "Nashville" wants at THIS moment...whether it's producers, marketing directors, or the artists themselves!
    Ya'know, with satellite radio or the internet, there's no reason for most country "critics" to listen to what "Nashville" dictates anymore!

12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

This is nothing new. It's been like this for a long time.

13. killacaster

killacaster TDPRI Member

this thread is unfounded. i saw someone post that " new country is the worst songwriting ever". i couldnt disagree more. the arrangments are the best that country music has ever seen. theres almost no doubled notes, the changes are complex and riviting. if its too subtle for you, that doesnt make it bad. and it is subtle and tasteful. the modern country listener is more sophisticated than your basic " rock/blues" listener. the melodies are tasteful and not blaring like rock. the arrangments are smart. the songwriting in general is brilliant. dont get me wrong, waylon is bar none my favorite country singer but he could never write whats coming out of nashville now. i mean these are the smartest minds in music working to make the best possible music. i say, its ignorant to stick to the old ways and not view todays nashville with the respect it deserves

14. Soupbone

Soupbone Tele-Meister

"Swing batta batta batta, swiiiiiiiiing batta"

"Everybody say, Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy"

"I like talkin' about you, you , you, you usually. But occasionally...I wanna talk about meeeeeee"

"We hate to see her go, but we love to watch her leave. With that Honkey Tonk......Badonka Donk"

Some great songwriting right there.

How do I know the lyrics to all those songs? Because I play in big line dance bars every weekend and it gets shoved down my throat. I even have to play some of that cheese.
    Even most of the "serious" songs have elementary lyrics. It's god awful.

Speaking of which, I read over most of your post. According to your logic, anything that has a complex musical arrangement and flashy playing is a good song. Lyrics are unimportant. Yes?

When I said the level of songwriting, I meant, well, songwriting. These songs arent conceived in the studio. They are written by some dude on his couch with an acoustic guitar or piano and later spiced up and dressed up and (many times) over-produced in the studio. No one is questioning the talent of the A-list players that are laying down the tracks. Its the songs in their most organic form that is garbage.
    Oh every now and then a pretty good song comes out, but the majority of what is played on FM country radio stations is on par with the songs I quoted above.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  15. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

I certainly don't want to ruin your love for today's country, but if you strip the vocals off many of these tracks, the music is rock, not country. Adding a steel or a fiddle doesn't make it suddenly country.

As for Waylon, its not that he couldn't write or sing what is coming out of Nashville now. He risked his whole career to stand up against what Nashville is doing today. In his early days, Waylon had a voice that could blow most every Nashville singer out of the water.

Sometime, compare the lyrics of songs like "Good Old Boys Like Me", "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" and "Till I Can Make It On My Own" to "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem" and "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk". Look at where the former and the latter are coming from and tell me todays country has depth. Today's lyrics walk on eggshells trying to avoid offending anybody. As a result, the subject matter is, well, mind numbing and boring.

Today's writers may be the smartest minds in songwriting, but the object is to reach the highest possible sales in the country demographic. "Mama Tried" and "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" are miles apart in artistry and content.

Killercaster--I'm not trying to pick on you. If you love today's "country" then I don't want to ruin it for you, but I guarantee that if you dig deep enough into the past, you will find songs with content, substance, heart and songwriting brilliance that speak to the common man. Today its a whole different ballgame. yes, there are occasional songs today that I consider great songs, but not many. When Nashville starts cutting powerful songs that don't sound contrived or aimed at 32 year old housewives, believe me, they will get my respect.

Lee Ann Womacks CMA Album of the Year and Mark Chesnutt's "Somebody Save The Honky Tonks" are pretty cool efforts IMO.

16. ajmikula

ajmikula TDPRI Member

Anyone a Corb Lund fan?

17. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic

...and then there are the fashion shoots disguised as country music videos!

oh, hey! corb lund fan here!

-dh

18. killacaster

killacaster TDPRI Member

youre right, those mentioned lyrics are bad. but what about:

" you say your walking on the edge but i say your hanging on a ledge too scared to take that hand that wants to help you up"

" would you go with me, if we rolled down streets of fire would you hold on to me tighter as the summer sun got higher if we roll from town to town and never shut it down."

" im waiting on the sun to set cause yesterday aint over yet. started smoking cigaretts cause theres nothing left to do i guess. dusty roads aint made for walking, spinning tires aint made for stopping."

these were just the first few i thought of. the internal rhyming is outstanding. its subtle and sophisticated. these are the best songwriters in the world. no offense but its more likely that theyre writing above your head than you thinking they arent doing their job.
    and no this music is not just rock with steel guitars and fiddles. what rock sounds like this? none. in my opinion, youre just seperating yourselves from the mainstream because you want your music to be superior. and i know where youre coming from, i was were you guys are at a few years ago. but trust me, this music is worth embracing. you will have to give up your high horse of " classic country" guys though. ive been were you have. even our classic country heros are singing with the new cats: dolly parton, george jones,lorreta lynn, little jimmie dickins, buck ( before he died), willie nelson, waylon. if they get, i dont see why you cant. theyre the ones who made the music in the first place.
    plus as great as older country is, it will never be as relevent as a newly written song. art is about expressing life, and life is right now...2006. waylon was singing about 1977, miranda lambert or josh turned is sing now. for people living today.

hopefully youll all see the light before its too late. but if you want to be more than a weekend warrior living in the past for the rest of your life, thats your call. but, theres nothing new to find in the past.

thanks for reading

19. TeleTurkey

TeleTurkey Tele-Holic

Wow. I guess it's nice to know that you are absolutely correct and everyone else is a fool.

20. kludge

kludge Tele-Afflicted

There, I gotta TOTALLY disagree! Great songs are TIMELESS songs. Love and grief and drunkenness and the purity of a mother's heart are no different in 2006 than they were in 1977 - or a thousand years ago, for that matter. Consider this classic lyric...

And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole.
    No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried.
    Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied.
    That leaves only me to blame 'cos Mama tried.

Did prison stop existing? Did boys suddenly start listening to their mothers? Did mothers stop caring in the last 30 years? I don't think so. That chorus is TIMELESS (I'll admit, the stuff about catching a train is getting dated). A thousand years ago, some stupid kid was in prison for life, knowing his mama was right all along. A thousand years from now, some other stupid kid will be sitting in prison for life, knowing mama was right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.